Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Xtracab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Trouble Filling Gas Tank
By chris335

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I've had the truck since it was new 2001.It's been a very reliable truck.The problem I've been having recently is that when I go to put gas in the pump keeps cutting off.Takes forever get a few dollars in.I've heard it may be the charcoal canister.Anybody have any answers on this?

Good but not great
By DD

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

First of all, let me say this has been a really good truck, so if this sounds like a negative review, these are relatively minor points. Gas mileage has been a disappointment for a V6: 15- 17 combined city/highway. I have a bit of a lead foot, but still, when I see full-size Fords and Chevys advertising 20 mpg with V8s, I cringe. Also, not as sure-footed as I'd like in snow and ice. Interior: The rubber inserts have all cracked and fallen out of the cup holders. And last, despite fastidious care, my rear chrome bumper has started to rust. Those negatives aside, this truck has gone all over with poise and confidence. Also, your picture's wrong; 2001 models had a different grille.

Favorite Features

Toyota reliability, has allowed me to drive this truck from Pennsylvania to North Dakota to Alabama to Florida with no fear of breakdown. No rattles, no drama, no suspense, it just goes.

Suggested Improvements

Third door would be nice for loading groceries, etc. Clock placement should be up on dash, not buried under steering wheel. My next truck will probably seat 4.

Great truck
By pam

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I use this truck for my gardening business and it has never failed.

Favorite Features

Everybody who sees it says "nice truck." You can turn off the airbag so children can sit in the front.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable back seats

Best truck to date for ownership
By Southerngator

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Fun truck to drive, great gas mileage for the horse power to weight ratio w/ the 2.7 four cylinder engine. Wife would love to steal it from me if she had the chance! Best investment for the reliability & quality, only had to change out the org. set tires w/ normal maintenance. I purchased the truck second hand from the local dealer, (after searching the web), got a great deal! Third door would have been nice addition, missing fm my model, but I still would recommend it!

Favorite Features

The off-road suspension and handling makes the every day drive enjoyable.

Suggested Improvements

Third door & move the clock.

Recommend to Anyone
By kinnywayne

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Very happy with my purchase. Bought it used. Took it to the Outer Banks, NC and rolled all over the beach. 4WD and power through the sand very surprising, considering I bought the 4 cyl. Good size and easy to park unlike some of the other trucks in its class (not real bulky but still rugged looking.) Would definitley recommend this vehicle to everyone.

Favorite Features

The sound system is good along with the interior. Love the 4WD and get decent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Can't see the clock unless you duck your head. A little more room in the Ext cab.