2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Trouble Filling Gas Tank
By chris335 on 03/24/13 09:36 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I've had the truck since it was new 2001.It's been a very reliable truck.The problem I've been having recently is that when I go to put gas in the pump keeps cutting off.Takes forever get a few dollars in.I've heard it may be the charcoal canister.Anybody have any answers on this?

update for 2001 Tacoma xcab 4x4 auto v6 sr5 trd
By cst010 on 08/23/12 17:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

300,056 miles and still going. Exterior and interior starting to show it's age and looking a little rusty and worn. Truck has sat outside it's entire life. Had the frame coated under recall but I did not have the frame rust problems others have reported. Gas milage has gone down. Getting about 15 city and maybe 20 highway. Still no major issues or problems Thought about trading in for 2012 model but I really don't care for the larger size of the new Tacoma's. Hope to get another 100k out of this one.

2001 Tacoma Xtra Cab 3.4L 4x4 5-Speed: Best Truck Ever
By lucas2718 on 03/27/11 11:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

My Tacoma, which I bought on September 11, 2001, and named Liberty, interestingly enough, has been the toughest and most reliable vehicle of which I have ever known. It has nearly 170,000 miles, and aside from the usual replacement of tires, filters, and brake pads, the only maintenence I've ever had done was preventative (timing belt, water pump, drive belts, and spark plugs at 100,000 miles). Aside from that, EVERYTHING is original, including the clutch, which I'm hard on, and even the freon for the A/C! Unbelievable! In short, the truck still drives like the day I bought it, it hardly burns a drop of oil, and if this old girl doesn't make it to 250,000 miles, I'll eat my hat!

Tacoma Tuff
By Justin Doyle on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2001 SR5 with a 5 speed and 2.4 liter motor. I have used it for work everyday I have had it. I have routinely overloaded it to the point it has sat almost to the floor and yet it takes it day in and day out. I actually blew the transmission at 59,900 because of excessive loading and drove the truck to the dealership. The dealership said you don't have any gears left they are gone where is the tow truck? I told them I drove it here and they simply didn't believe me. Once that one major repair was done the new trans has taken even more abuse and the clutch only has 195,000 on it for day to day hauling and the occasional red line shift just for fun. What a great truck!

Bulletproof
By Philodog on 03/11/10 22:17 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

173,000 miles and still runs like new. It has the TRD package and gets used hard off road on a regular basis. Besides regular maintenance the only issues have been an O2 sensor, catalytic converter and a drive shaft center bearing. Still gets 18-20 on the highway. Stiff ride but it`s a real truck.

Perfect (for me)
By Hemonie on 01/28/10 11:16 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Only truck I've ever had that did EVERYTHING I asked of it. I bought it w/69,000 miles & after 5 yrs have just over 140,000. Replaced O2 sensors & cat converter outside of regular preventive maintenance. I routinely travel min maint & backroads, 50 miles of hwy/day of work, haul equipment/firewood, utilize 4WD, etc. Handles extremely well regardless of conditions. Fuel mileage is higher than acceptable given the demands I place on this truck. Tight cab even @ 9-10 yrs old, no rust. Outstanding truck! I don't have a family, but my dogs & I fit perfectly (not small dogs). Given the miles I drive for work & school, the weekend projects & dependability during inclement weather. I just love it!

200,000 mile report (Automatic Trans) SR5
By cst010 on 09/09/09 14:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Wanted to report that the Tacoma has reached the 200,000 mile marker. Normal maintenance so far: belts, timing belt, water pump, and cat converter. Oil changes performed at 3000 miles every 3000 miles. Truck runs great. Body and interior holding out great. I do take care to keep it clean and waxed. Dome light has failed (constantly burns them out) and one light for the 'fan' switch has failed- I have not replaced. Miles are mostly highway and the truck has not been off-roaded. I hope to be able to write a 300,000 mile review. No rattles to date! Great truck so far. Couple of more years and maybe I will have gotten my monies worth outta it.

Love my Little Filly!
By Cher on 09/03/09 12:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

My Tacoma can go just about anywhere, in any kind of weather! :) Tacomas are the most eye-catching small pickup available, with an outstanding reliability record. I have hauled heavy loads of furniture and appliances with no problems. Makes for an outstanding second vehicle. Not very family oriented though...

Good little truck
By john in GA on 08/09/09 22:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

It's a great truck for the work commute. About 22mpg. Then, when I need it - hauling furniture, groceries, lumber, propane, gravel, yard work, etc. There's some room for stuff behind the seat, and while a full car seat would be tight, my 4 year old fits well in a booster seat behind the passenger seat. I was also surprised to find it can haul U-Haul's largest trailer straight on the bumper, just had to buy the ball and lights. I've kept up with the maintenance schedule and have only had to replace things I've actually physically broken (advice: don't drop a tree near your truck, it may hurt the paint job.)

2001 Toyota Tacoma
By Toyota Lover on 08/01/09 10:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle brand new in 2001 and still use it for delivery business. I have put 328000 miles on it with only minimal problems. Replaced auto transmission at 300000 but that is the only thing major gone wrong with this many miles. Still starts easily and drives perfect. Does not smoke or burn oil and runs like a sewing machine. Most dependable reliable vehicle ever owned.