Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Trouble Filling Gas Tank
By chris335

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I've had the truck since it was new 2001.It's been a very reliable truck.The problem I've been having recently is that when I go to put gas in the pump keeps cutting off.Takes forever get a few dollars in.I've heard it may be the charcoal canister.Anybody have any answers on this?

update for 2001 Tacoma xcab 4x4 auto v6 sr5 trd
By cst010

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

300,056 miles and still going. Exterior and interior starting to show it's age and looking a little rusty and worn. Truck has sat outside it's entire life. Had the frame coated under recall but I did not have the frame rust problems others have reported. Gas milage has gone down. Getting about 15 city and maybe 20 highway. Still no major issues or problems Thought about trading in for 2012 model but I really don't care for the larger size of the new Tacoma's. Hope to get another 100k out of this one.

2001 Tacoma Xtra Cab 3.4L 4x4 5-Speed: Best Truck Ever
By lucas2718

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

My Tacoma, which I bought on September 11, 2001, and named Liberty, interestingly enough, has been the toughest and most reliable vehicle of which I have ever known. It has nearly 170,000 miles, and aside from the usual replacement of tires, filters, and brake pads, the only maintenence I've ever had done was preventative (timing belt, water pump, drive belts, and spark plugs at 100,000 miles). Aside from that, EVERYTHING is original, including the clutch, which I'm hard on, and even the freon for the A/C! Unbelievable! In short, the truck still drives like the day I bought it, it hardly burns a drop of oil, and if this old girl doesn't make it to 250,000 miles, I'll eat my hat!

Tacoma Tuff
By Justin Doyle

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2001 SR5 with a 5 speed and 2.4 liter motor. I have used it for work everyday I have had it. I have routinely overloaded it to the point it has sat almost to the floor and yet it takes it day in and day out. I actually blew the transmission at 59,900 because of excessive loading and drove the truck to the dealership. The dealership said you don't have any gears left they are gone where is the tow truck? I told them I drove it here and they simply didn't believe me. Once that one major repair was done the new trans has taken even more abuse and the clutch only has 195,000 on it for day to day hauling and the occasional red line shift just for fun. What a great truck!

Bulletproof
By Philodog

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

173,000 miles and still runs like new. It has the TRD package and gets used hard off road on a regular basis. Besides regular maintenance the only issues have been an O2 sensor, catalytic converter and a drive shaft center bearing. Still gets 18-20 on the highway. Stiff ride but it`s a real truck.

Favorite Features

Reliability and toughness

Suggested Improvements

Lack of available creature comforts.