2001 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Solid
By ResQ198 on 07/26/09 17:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have had 3 Toyota pickups, an '89, '99 (my all time favorite) and now an '01. The '01 is great in the snow, reliable as can be, and easy to drive. The four cylinder is underpowered, and as some people have mentioned, the gears need some adjustment. I would never discourage anyone from buying anything Toyota, but like everything out there, if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

01 tacoma
By john9310 on 12/04/08 11:09 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I live in northeast Ohio and the winters are bad here. My driveway is straight uphill so I need 4wd to get up it. I had a full sized Chevy 4wd but that truck was old and tired and didn't owe anybody anything. My buddy had a 99 Tacoma and I liked it so I bought mine. I only had a few problems 3 bumpers (the clearcoat peels off and rusts), power steering pump went out and catalytic converters rotted out, otherwise a great truck. I only have about 53,000 miles on it. I can beat on this truck and it asks for more.

2001, another fine year for a Tacoma
By Jordan S on 08/30/08 14:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this Tacoma for almost a year, it is solid, so far I have noticed that rubber strips around the wheel wells are coming loose, other than that, the body has held up well.

The Best
By adammc on 04/18/08 11:21 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This truck was a graduation gift from my parents and they couldn't have made a better choice. I have owned a 91 and 93 toyota tacoma, both 4x4, and they have become my favorite trucks. I drive my truck hard, using the 4X4 on a regular basis and I have yet to have a problem. The off-road capability is unmatched by anything I have come across yet. It is a simple truck that can't be beat!

Can't buy a better truck
By Mark on 08/01/05 15:04 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

One solid reliable truck. I had an '89 2dr toyota truck with 180K and only changed a fuel pump. When I upgraded to the 2001 I couldn't be happier. I could use a little more leg room. I've take it out in some heavy snows and tried to get it stuck, can't do it!

Little Truck
By Crazymagman on 11/25/04 10:27 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great little truck. The steering feel is better than my Maxima, and the truck is very responsive to quick steering actions. There isn't a ton of power from the 2.4L automatic, but I bought it for a daily driver and to haul things for the house, so it's just what I need. The stepside bed really sets off the styling of the truck, and I've only seen one other stepside Tacoma with the same wheels that mine came with.

Solid Pickup
By trd182 on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

My 01 tacoma has 70,000 miles on it and i haven't had a single problem with it. It goes everywhere off road and rides nice on the pavement. Its a solid truck.

My first truck
By Mark McKee on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 2.4L Automatic Tacoma has been a blast to own and drive. While it's not the tire- burning monster of a musclecar, it gets me to where I want to go in comfort. On 9+hr trips my back doesn't hurt and that's a good sign. Mechanically this thing is great. I expect many many years and 200,000+ miles of trouble-free service out of this vehicle. This was my first NEW vehicle purchase and the whole experience with Toyota and my Toyota dealer has been positive. I would purchase it again, and recommend this truck to anyone who's wanting to get an inexpensive (but nice) truck.

2001 tacoma
By usaf on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Dash rattles BAD,paint peeled on front bumper,poor OEM tires. Now the good-----too many things to list great reliability, handles well , air work great

As Advertised
By bearcrkrd on 05/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new, Thanksgiving weekend 2000. The reviews at that time of CR and Edmunds, especially Edmunds, were very accurate for the base model, 5spd, regular cab. I had a cold start problem about a month after purchase. Had it happen again about a year later. Learned to hold gas pedal down all the way while turning engine over. It starts about 10+ seconds later, sputters and smells for maybe 20 seconds, with small amount of light colored smoke just after starting. Then runs like nothing happened. These two incidents are it. The vehicle is mechanically new, with very little cosmetic damage.