2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Update from OKHunter
By OKHunter on 12/31/08 14:38 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Update to a review written not long after I bought the truck. Now have almost 130K miles. Did the normal timing chain/water pump at around 90K, and have had all the scheduled maintenance performed. Only problem I thought was a design flaw was the front ball joints, which wore out at about 60K miles, due to poorly designed seals. Also replaced the stock muffler w/ a Flowmaster, and the stock air filter w/ a K&N cold air induction kit; that raised the mileage to about 19 mpg combined. I plan to drive this thing until the wheels fall off, then I'm going to put 'em back on and drive it until they fall off again. If you want a solid truck for the long haul, look no further.

Best Truck (Vehicle) Ever Owned
By polliar1 on 06/04/07 13:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Besides trying to boost the value of my Toyota Tacoma, I thought I'd let you know this is by far the best truck I've ever owned. 82K miles and still drives better than the day I purchased this used vehicle.

Still solid as the day I bought it
By MCJ on 04/29/07 10:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first pickup and I was drawn to it by the practical mix of "clean" and "dirty" space. It's big enough for most tasks, but still easy (and extremely fun!) to drive. Even though it has over 100K miles, it still feels as solid as the day I bought it (used with 15K). I'm still amazed at how well it has held its value. When I got it, I found I had a lot of new friends which proves the saying: "The only thing better than having a truck is having a friend with a truck."

5 years and going
By Donald S on 09/15/06 17:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I really enjoy the vehicle except that it tends to run lean and knock a bit upon light acceleration. Maybe that is why I get 20-21 mpg. Probably will get another one when I give this to my youngest son to drive. I still receive compliments from people about how nice it looks.

One hell-of-an off roader
By TejasYOTA on 05/01/06 20:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

In stock form this truck is very offroad capable. Good balance and grip and plenty of power. Only main gripe is the lack of a 5 speed when it was introduced and the damn placement of the digital clock. The electronic rear diff lock works great too. I only wish they offered a front locker too and offer the driver side grab handle on the a-pillar. It was deleted from the LIMITED versions. What marketing bozo thought of that?!

Toyota has a new permanent customer
By wutroad on 12/08/05 21:07 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this truck, bought new. It was totalled in 9/2005 with 148129 miles on it. I was towing a car with a dolly, a tire blew, i fishtailed, and rolled twice at 65 mph and walked away with a seat-belt bruise. The officers on scene almost didn't believe that i was even in the vehicle, as i was not injured. During the 4 years I had it, I traveled extensively throughout the US (42 States), Canada and Mexico-- all weather and terrain. I never once felt that my Tacoma was going to fail me. I changed the oil and did other maintenance religiously. I do not recommend the do-it-yourselfer attempt to replace the timing belt without any prior experience. Replaced with 2003 AccessCab 4x4, equally happy.

Great truck
By kevin on 08/23/05 16:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my double cab tacoma new in June of 2001. It has never been in the shop for a repair. Currently have 85000 miles on it. The seats feel a little flatter than they used to, but other than that, I love it.

Mike review
By resq17312 on 10/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Outstanding quality and reliablity.....never had a problem yet

It could of been better
By keywest305 on 07/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was very pleased the first 45000 miles .Now im getting a rattle in the dash and some squeaks in the seats and interior noise.This truck was a very tight truck when taking bumps and a pleasure to drive.Now the interior noise and rattle drives me crazy.Also this truck has never been off road wich makes me think what would it have been like if it did.This is a off road pkg.My wifes car has 205,000 on it and doesnt rattle and feels tighter.Not to mention it is a Volvo.

Jump Jump Around
By Seahawk Blitz it on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This truck is by far the best truck out there.I only have 31000 miles on my 2001and it looks and runs like the day I bought it.Wish the interior was a nicer design,but all in all this is the truck to jump towards.