2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
145,000 Miles and Going Strong
By Rod on 04/03/10 08:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Original Owner of my 2001 Tacoma, 145,000 miles no issues at all. Oil changes every 4 to 6,000 miles always used Valvoline 10/30. Live in ABQ so no rust issues. Pre-runner (TRD) with rear locking differential, great for snow and mud. Had some early issues with the front brake rotors but went back to Toyota original parts and issue was resolved. This is a GREAT truck and would recommend it to everyone, they are however very hard to find ($8,000 to $12,000 price tag) now since the 2004 and newer Tacomas are having the accelerator problems with the Toyota recalls. 300,000 mile old school Toyota's will live forever!

Swiss Army Knife
By looseshoes on 06/16/08 13:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle does it all -mostly-. Hauls 4 or 5, carries cargo, gets decent mileage, super-dependable. Not too sporting on the road, but not expected really. I get about 21 mpg with 50/50 city/hwy driving. Has 70k miles and only problem was I had to have power steering pump replaced - under warranty.

She's my baby!
By Carl B on 06/01/08 22:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Toyota pick up; I've owned 1 1986 1/2 ton and now 2 Tacomas. My 2001 Tacoma Pre-runner Doublecab is still as exciting to drive as the day I drove it off the lot. Fuel economy with the 2.7L 4 cylinder (which isn't offered in the new Tacoma Pre-Runner Doublecabs by the way) is absolutely outstanding (around 25 to 28 hwy and 20 to 22 city) if I don't drive like a maniac. I'll neve give up this truck; it's the best vehicle I've ever owned.

It's been great
By JDWOITON on 02/23/07 08:31 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this truck for 6 years and it's held up very well. I've added a matching color camper shell on it. It well serves my two biggest hobbies, music and camping. I can pack a bunch of equipment in it and keep it secure wherever I go. It's been wrecked twice and the value of the truck was always too high to total it.

The Best!
By grbarnard on 12/04/06 09:07 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Bought at 21k, now 125k in 1 3/4 yrs. Excellent truck, beat on it and it keeps on going like the Energizer Bunny.

Great Truck!
By ocnfront on 12/19/05 22:21 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

A bullet proof truck!! This is the best truck that I have every driven. I use it daily to drive to work and it always a great ride. The prerunner crew cab is the only way to go! My wife will drive it in a hot minute.

Wife took over my truck!
By Rod on 07/17/05 20:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

In my previous review, I mentioned longer life for brake rotors, come to find out the front brakes were under excessive load and not balanced with the back brakes. Problem has been fixed and I am proud to report smooth stops! The truck is great and I plan on keeping it until it drops dead around 500,000 miles. Truck has plenty of room for your "stuff", SUV owners should consider this truck as an alternative with more room in the back (-w-camper shell). It is easier to park in the smaller spaces at the shopping center, I traded a size pickup for this reason got tired of backing up and trying again to get into a spot.

If I had to do over, I would
By Kev on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is the first truck that I've even owned and I love it. Father had a 87 with over 300K and I got tired of borrowing it. (excuse I gave the wife) Saw the 4 door and fell in love. Last one on the lot, test drove it, came back and asked where do I sign.

What a great truck
By Wright on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is a great truck - I truly enjoy driving it.

It meets my needs.
By Diana on 10/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I am very happy with my pre-runner. It has been flawless in the 10K I have owned it. Actually I'm not a big off road person, but I have hauled some big items with this truck, and for my small needs the truck is perfect. Good gas milage, low maintenance, and a great value for many years. It also hauls the kids and equipment fine. Then I'll give it to my son and buy another.