Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma V6 Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Update from OKHunter
By OKHunter

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Update to a review written not long after I bought the truck. Now have almost 130K miles. Did the normal timing chain/water pump at around 90K, and have had all the scheduled maintenance performed. Only problem I thought was a design flaw was the front ball joints, which wore out at about 60K miles, due to poorly designed seals. Also replaced the stock muffler w/ a Flowmaster, and the stock air filter w/ a K&N cold air induction kit; that raised the mileage to about 19 mpg combined. I plan to drive this thing until the wheels fall off, then I'm going to put 'em back on and drive it until they fall off again. If you want a solid truck for the long haul, look no further.

Build quality of everything. Engine hasn't lost a step, tranny is strong, interior is holding up well, not too many rattles. I can still climb whatever trees I want in this thing.

Anything I would add here they've already incorporated into the newer models. If you want a strong used truck for less than $10K, go find one of these babies that has been well maintained. You won't be sorry.

Best Truck (Vehicle) Ever Owned
By polliar1

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Besides trying to boost the value of my Toyota Tacoma, I thought I'd let you know this is by far the best truck I've ever owned. 82K miles and still drives better than the day I purchased this used vehicle.

Gas mileage.

Leather option.

Still solid as the day I bought it
By MCJ

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first pickup and I was drawn to it by the practical mix of "clean" and "dirty" space. It's big enough for most tasks, but still easy (and extremely fun!) to drive. Even though it has over 100K miles, it still feels as solid as the day I bought it (used with 15K). I'm still amazed at how well it has held its value. When I got it, I found I had a lot of new friends which proves the saying: "The only thing better than having a truck is having a friend with a truck."

Versatility and solid feel when driving. Great in the snow, but would be better with ABS option that I did not get. Looks great clean or dirty. Good power for hauling whatever. Previous owner had installed rubberized bed liner. Dependability has been second to none.

Bed is a bit short and gas mileage isn't stellar. Stereo isn't great, even after upgrading speakers and head unit. There isn't a lot of storage space in the cab.

5 years and going
By Donald S

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I really enjoy the vehicle except that it tends to run lean and knock a bit upon light acceleration. Maybe that is why I get 20-21 mpg. Probably will get another one when I give this to my youngest son to drive. I still receive compliments from people about how nice it looks.

I love the room the double cab has.

A little more power would be nice.

One hell-of-an off roader
By TejasYOTA

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

In stock form this truck is very offroad capable. Good balance and grip and plenty of power. Only main gripe is the lack of a 5 speed when it was introduced and the damn placement of the digital clock. The electronic rear diff lock works great too. I only wish they offered a front locker too and offer the driver side grab handle on the a-pillar. It was deleted from the LIMITED versions. What marketing bozo thought of that?!

Elect rear locker, off road capabilities, power, handling both on and off road.

Move the electronic clock add the grab bar on the DRIVER side for the limited versions.