2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
230,000 mile report
By Dan sanchez on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned this truck for 6 years. it has 230,000 miles and it still runs great. no big problems just had to change the cat converters. and the struts and rear shocks. kind of a stiff ride but it's a truck. mileage is ok. could be better. i love this truck and would recommend it to anyone.

Toyota man for life
By mike on 08/28/10 19:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck in 2001 and wanted the double cab for the room. The interior could use a little more comfort but it has held up. This truck now has 135,000 on it and it has been the most reliable truck that I have ever owned. Just do the normal preventative maintenance and I think this truck will last forever. I have had to replace the front headlights and signal lights because they became fogged out. This truck has the TRD package on it and people think it is a 4WD. Take care of this truck and it will take care of you.

145,000 Miles and Going Strong
By Rod on 04/03/10 08:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Original Owner of my 2001 Tacoma, 145,000 miles no issues at all. Oil changes every 4 to 6,000 miles always used Valvoline 10/30. Live in ABQ so no rust issues. Pre-runner (TRD) with rear locking differential, great for snow and mud. Had some early issues with the front brake rotors but went back to Toyota original parts and issue was resolved. This is a GREAT truck and would recommend it to everyone, they are however very hard to find ($8,000 to $12,000 price tag) now since the 2004 and newer Tacomas are having the accelerator problems with the Toyota recalls. 300,000 mile old school Toyota's will live forever!

Great Truck
By Mike on 01/12/10 14:41 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Awesome truck, no problems at all. Bought it with 130,000 miles on it and it runs like new. Has the rear locking differential which makes a huge difference on snow and ice (not a substitute for 4x4 though). Have around 300 pounds in the bed - haven't had to worry about getting stuck in the snow yet. It's a handsome looking truck. Well designed on the exterior. The interior has a few problems, most notably being the location of the clock. The seat belts don't always retract, but that's not a big deal. Gas mileage is about 17 mpg, maybe a little more. Great truck though. It is 2wd but is still a very capable truck.

Update from OKHunter
By OKHunter on 12/31/08 14:38 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Update to a review written not long after I bought the truck. Now have almost 130K miles. Did the normal timing chain/water pump at around 90K, and have had all the scheduled maintenance performed. Only problem I thought was a design flaw was the front ball joints, which wore out at about 60K miles, due to poorly designed seals. Also replaced the stock muffler w/ a Flowmaster, and the stock air filter w/ a K&N cold air induction kit; that raised the mileage to about 19 mpg combined. I plan to drive this thing until the wheels fall off, then I'm going to put 'em back on and drive it until they fall off again. If you want a solid truck for the long haul, look no further.

Swiss Army Knife
By looseshoes on 06/16/08 13:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle does it all -mostly-. Hauls 4 or 5, carries cargo, gets decent mileage, super-dependable. Not too sporting on the road, but not expected really. I get about 21 mpg with 50/50 city/hwy driving. Has 70k miles and only problem was I had to have power steering pump replaced - under warranty.

She's my baby!
By Carl B on 06/01/08 22:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Toyota pick up; I've owned 1 1986 1/2 ton and now 2 Tacomas. My 2001 Tacoma Pre-runner Doublecab is still as exciting to drive as the day I drove it off the lot. Fuel economy with the 2.7L 4 cylinder (which isn't offered in the new Tacoma Pre-Runner Doublecabs by the way) is absolutely outstanding (around 25 to 28 hwy and 20 to 22 city) if I don't drive like a maniac. I'll neve give up this truck; it's the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Best Truck (Vehicle) Ever Owned
By polliar1 on 06/04/07 13:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Besides trying to boost the value of my Toyota Tacoma, I thought I'd let you know this is by far the best truck I've ever owned. 82K miles and still drives better than the day I purchased this used vehicle.

Still solid as the day I bought it
By MCJ on 04/29/07 10:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first pickup and I was drawn to it by the practical mix of "clean" and "dirty" space. It's big enough for most tasks, but still easy (and extremely fun!) to drive. Even though it has over 100K miles, it still feels as solid as the day I bought it (used with 15K). I'm still amazed at how well it has held its value. When I got it, I found I had a lot of new friends which proves the saying: "The only thing better than having a truck is having a friend with a truck."

It's been great
By JDWOITON on 02/23/07 08:31 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this truck for 6 years and it's held up very well. I've added a matching color camper shell on it. It well serves my two biggest hobbies, music and camping. I can pack a bunch of equipment in it and keep it secure wherever I go. It's been wrecked twice and the value of the truck was always too high to total it.

1 2 3 4 5 next »