2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
2001 Tacoma Xtra Cab 3.4L 4x4 5-Speed: Best Truck Ever
By lucas2718 on 03/27/11 11:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

My Tacoma, which I bought on September 11, 2001, and named Liberty, interestingly enough, has been the toughest and most reliable vehicle of which I have ever known. It has nearly 170,000 miles, and aside from the usual replacement of tires, filters, and brake pads, the only maintenence I've ever had done was preventative (timing belt, water pump, drive belts, and spark plugs at 100,000 miles). Aside from that, EVERYTHING is original, including the clutch, which I'm hard on, and even the freon for the A/C! Unbelievable! In short, the truck still drives like the day I bought it, it hardly burns a drop of oil, and if this old girl doesn't make it to 250,000 miles, I'll eat my hat!

200,000 mile report (Automatic Trans) SR5
By cst010 on 09/09/09 14:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Wanted to report that the Tacoma has reached the 200,000 mile marker. Normal maintenance so far: belts, timing belt, water pump, and cat converter. Oil changes performed at 3000 miles every 3000 miles. Truck runs great. Body and interior holding out great. I do take care to keep it clean and waxed. Dome light has failed (constantly burns them out) and one light for the 'fan' switch has failed- I have not replaced. Miles are mostly highway and the truck has not been off-roaded. I hope to be able to write a 300,000 mile review. No rattles to date! Great truck so far. Couple of more years and maybe I will have gotten my monies worth outta it.

Love my Little Filly!
By Cher on 09/03/09 12:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

My Tacoma can go just about anywhere, in any kind of weather! :) Tacomas are the most eye-catching small pickup available, with an outstanding reliability record. I have hauled heavy loads of furniture and appliances with no problems. Makes for an outstanding second vehicle. Not very family oriented though...

Class of it's own
By accelrviii on 11/25/08 01:47 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I drove mostly American made pickups while in high school. After driving one of these Toyota pickups, I will never own anything else. It's really a no brainer. Looks, performance and yes untouched reliability put it way above the rest. I have 135,000 miles on mine and no problems. Toyota will never have financial troubles when they make trucks like these! These trucks will be around for ever.

Hit 200,000 miles today
By cst010 on 11/18/08 13:02 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Hit the 200K mark today. What a great vehicle so far. No major problems to date. Vehicle is well maintained with all scheduled maintenance performed by the dealers.

Love it
By Gregg on 05/31/08 20:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it used but with transferable warranty, great right? Never had to use the warranty. Bought a fully loaded Tacoma, off road package, tow package. I put duel exhaust on, cold air intake, throttle body spacer. This truck has more power and better fuel mileage now. Don't do much off roading but the times I have I was very impressed. One time I was looking at a piece of remote property in the winter on a small single car dirt road with nowhere to turn around, I literlly slid down a hill hoping there was another way out, nope. The 4x4 shot me back up the hill with ease. I really love this truck. I have never had a single problem with it in 5 years.

Best truck money can buy
By Best truck out there on 04/04/08 12:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I have drove tacomas all my life and this is the best to date. I do a lot of 4 wheelin and this truck will beat any jeep. I never have to worry about anything mechanical, ever. This truck is solid. I have big tires and a lift and it still runs strong at 103,000 miles on the clock. I had a chevy truck that was a pile of junk at 100,000. You cant even compare the two. Toyota is in a league of its own. I plan on driving this truck for decades to come. Great truck.

It's been a pleasure
By AdamE on 05/03/07 13:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Well I'm selling my truck after three great years (only because I've decided to become a sedan guy). I could not be happier with my Tacoma over the years. Got regular oil changes and that was it for the whole three years. No mechanical problems ever.

Great Toyota
By cst010 on 12/22/06 11:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased new and now have over 170,000 miles. Dealer maintained with the largest expense being a catalytic converted replacement. No other issues. Have not experienced the dash rattle others have spoken about. Is a great truck and hope to get another 170,000 miles out of it. I have always had great experiences with the dealer maintenance departments.

01 Toyota Tacoma
By Chad Simmons on 03/09/05 14:16 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I have thoroughly enjoyed owning and driving this vehicle. The appearance alone is worth the price; however, the reliability and power greatly increase the satisfaction. I would recommend this vehicle to all midsize truck owners.