Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Sexy Tacoma
By Styles

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car, it's unbelievable, my only complaint is the clock location, you're better off looking at your phone or watch, it's like under the steering wheel and you'll get into an accident trying to find it. My only complaint about it is the fuel economy, it's ok, I get about 240 on the tank but it seems like the gauge empties pretty quickly. I'm sure it's amazing for a truck. My main advice to anyone looking to get one of these is go with the v6 and a prerunner, it's much higher up than it seems and I love the horsepower and the feel of the ride. You won't be let down.

Definitely the v-6, this puppy is fast.

Move the clock. Better fuel efficiency would make this truck dominate the market, that's it.

V6 Prerunner
By Doug Mummertz

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The V6 engine in the Tacoma Prerunner makes this a spunky vehicle to drive. V6 is a smooth running engine with the torque necessary to carry or pull those weekend loads. Extra cab model gives the owner that additional storage space behind the seats which is definitely a convenience worth getting. Interior design is good except for the clock location. Toyota has met it's usual standards in quality and reliability. Optional TRD package allows the driver to select differential lock at slow speeds which is definitely helpful in slippery driving. Tacoma is an all around well built truck.

Prerunner is a 2 wheel drive vehicle. Differential lock has helped me to get out of slippery snow in the winter but in my opinion opting to put the V6 into a Tacoma is the smartest thing I could have done.

Tacoma extra cab model access would be improved if a third door was incorporated behind the driver's door. As is the driver must slide the seat fully forward to have access to the cab behind the seats. Clock location could also be improved.

o.k. but???
By rob368

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the truck for reliability and better mileage, hopefully for a truck. So far the best I can get is 18 mpg aver. I have done all maintenance including a tune-up and the six still does not idle smooth. power steering pump is noisy, and there is a delay in trans shifting in overdrive. seems to slip a bit when off and on gas when at freeway speed. positive is no leaks, very tight. Overall an ok. truck, but not the quality I expected it to be especially after my friend now has 180k on his 86' with no problems. I feel toyotas quality has gone down hill, cutting corners to save money. Give me old quality with modern looks and I would give nothing but 10's.

comfort to drive long distance

better trans/more positive shift/better rear seats???

More than I ever expected!
By RevMoCash

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Paid 13k cash for my loaded pickup, included custom snug-top w/ bed-rug 3k alone! Dropped 800 more into 60k factory service, and I could not be more satisfied! Purchased from an older guy who never took it off road. The int/ext is in perfect shape! I took it to vegas and made it with 1/4 tank left over! V6 is smooth and powerful: puts my honda and rangers of the past to shame! Int could be more user friendly...but IT IS A TRUCK! I recommend anyone who wants a reliable truck to buy this model, "THIRD PARTY", the dealer price is ludicrous, and just make sure its a sound buy, you'll be glad you did!

TRD package and Rear Diff Lock. The excel gas mileage that I was just waiting to hit me in the wallet after my civic's rating! DEPENDABILITY

Interior upgrade to more sturdy nylon, and just do something with the back seats to make them usable, they are flat out worthless; like the stupid clock!

Love it!
By rvkelly

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This truck is a complete pleasure to drive. It combines the comfort of a car and the rugedness of a workhorse. I highly recommend for anyone looking to own a truck he can work with but also save soem fuel money on.