2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Perfect (for me)
By Hemonie on 01/28/10 11:16 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Only truck I've ever had that did EVERYTHING I asked of it. I bought it w/69,000 miles & after 5 yrs have just over 140,000. Replaced O2 sensors & cat converter outside of regular preventive maintenance. I routinely travel min maint & backroads, 50 miles of hwy/day of work, haul equipment/firewood, utilize 4WD, etc. Handles extremely well regardless of conditions. Fuel mileage is higher than acceptable given the demands I place on this truck. Tight cab even @ 9-10 yrs old, no rust. Outstanding truck! I don't have a family, but my dogs & I fit perfectly (not small dogs). Given the miles I drive for work & school, the weekend projects & dependability during inclement weather. I just love it!

I love this truck
By Scott on 06/22/07 00:24 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have used this truck extensively offroad, mostly desert driving. Swapped stock shocks (I ruined them very quickly) for Bilsteins, huge difference. This truck performs extremely well offroad if not driven beyond its limits, yet still maintains a quality ride on-road for a 4x4. The only problem I've had is the cruise control stopped working around 40,000 miles. I have also used it since new as a tow vehicle for a desert race car and even though beyond capacity, am still impressed with how well it tows. The rear leaves are starting to sag, but only because of overloading. I plan to keep this truck forever. Toyota fan for life!

THE BEST
By dave on 09/26/06 07:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have been thoroughly happy with this car. Although the back seat is not exactly spacious, it is great to have a spot for an extra person or a bunch of extra stuff. You can actually fit quite a bit of stuff back there.

Tacoma experience thus far......
By issisteelman on 07/26/05 09:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

My Toyota Tacoma is just over 4 years old. I only have 32,000 miles on it so far but the experience has been a good one. I live in the sticks in Northern NH and spend a lot of time on logging roads so many of the 32K miles have been hard ones. The only minor problem I've experienced thus far is that my e- brakes recently locked up. I'm also a little dissapointed in the gas mileage for a 4 cylinder (only getting about 17 mpg in town and 21 mpg on the highway). However, so far the truck is completely reliable and has lived up to my expectations regarding Toyota quality. I use my truck in all conditions to haul wood, to trailer my snowmachine, to trailer my 4-wheeler and it runs great!

I am proud to own this one.
By bigney on 01/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I work with guys that have driven a gazillion miles in their tacomas with little or no problems which is why I bought this one. I've only ridden 15000 miles in it yet but they've all been enjoyable. Had so fun on the beach watching others get stuck. It feels tight and rugged. I would've gotten the V6 if I could've sprung the cash at the time.

Not quite a LEMON
By old_jr on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Toyota Tacoma 4WD V6 5SPD extended cab. This pickup is a big disappointment. It has NO power. The drive train is sloppy and the manual transmission "clunks" when shifting from to 1st to 2nd. The differential and transfer case were only half full (checked by private mechanic). This was found after I noticed a high- pitched whine on the highway. Dealer said all fluid levels were okay??? Rear bumper rusted severely first winter. Noisy - can't hear the radio above 45 mph. This Tacoma can't compare at all with the 1987 SR5 4cyl 5spd I owned for eleven years. I made a mistake and bought the 2001 Tacoma based on my experience with the 1987.

4X4 TACOMA
By JACOB on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THE FUEL ECONOMY, BUT WHEN I REALIZED THE TOWING AND HAULING CAPACITY, I UNDERSTOOD WHY THE FUEL MILEAGE IS WHAT IT IS. THE TRUCK HAS A 4:10 AXLE RATIO THAT KILLS ANY HOPE OF GETTING 18+ MPG(WHICH IS WHAT I HAD BEFORE THIS). BUT POWER, PERFORMANCE AND A GOOD SET OF MUD TIRES MADE UP FOR MY DISAPPOINTMENT. I CAN'T WAIT TO INSTALL MY TRD SUPERCHARGER AND GET EVEN LESS FUEL ECONOMY, BUT A WHOLE LOT MORE FUN.

toyota truck
By Biker on 03/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

very good reliability, it feels a little cheap compared to american builders. 4 wheel drive system works very good. The body could be stronger and seats should have more support and comfort for us big guys.

TRD
By jim wilbanks on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The truck is beautiful and fun to drive. It handles all road conditions well.

Taco lover...
By elendil on 02/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love my tacoma! I've driven alot of trucks, and this one is the best by far. Even with the I4, it has an adequate amount of power with the 5spd. I would recommmend it to anyone who is looking for a good, reliable truck. I have over 32,000 miles on it, and no problems!