Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma Base Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Perfect (for me)
By Hemonie

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Only truck I've ever had that did EVERYTHING I asked of it. I bought it w/69,000 miles & after 5 yrs have just over 140,000. Replaced O2 sensors & cat converter outside of regular preventive maintenance. I routinely travel min maint & backroads, 50 miles of hwy/day of work, haul equipment/firewood, utilize 4WD, etc. Handles extremely well regardless of conditions. Fuel mileage is higher than acceptable given the demands I place on this truck. Tight cab even @ 9-10 yrs old, no rust. Outstanding truck! I don't have a family, but my dogs & I fit perfectly (not small dogs). Given the miles I drive for work & school, the weekend projects & dependability during inclement weather. I just love it!

4WD, Standard Transmission, High Clearance, V6, Hauling Capacity, Suspension, Inclement Weather Handling & Reliability

Clock is in a horrible place. Wish it had at least one back door. Quality of the interior could be a little better.

I love this truck
By Scott

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have used this truck extensively offroad, mostly desert driving. Swapped stock shocks (I ruined them very quickly) for Bilsteins, huge difference. This truck performs extremely well offroad if not driven beyond its limits, yet still maintains a quality ride on-road for a 4x4. The only problem I've had is the cruise control stopped working around 40,000 miles. I have also used it since new as a tow vehicle for a desert race car and even though beyond capacity, am still impressed with how well it tows. The rear leaves are starting to sag, but only because of overloading. I plan to keep this truck forever. Toyota fan for life!

5-speed transmission with 2.7 liter performs amazingly well. Shift on the fly 4-wheel drive is also a fantastic feature. I cannot say enough about how well this truck works offroad. I consider it to be the best looking Toyota truck ever made.

Stock shock absorbers were very weak. Gas mileage should be better for a 4-cyl. Clock placement is horrible. Inner tailgate could have been made sturdier. Headlight lenses have gotten somewhat opaque.

THE BEST
By dave

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have been thoroughly happy with this car. Although the back seat is not exactly spacious, it is great to have a spot for an extra person or a bunch of extra stuff. You can actually fit quite a bit of stuff back there.

Tacoma experience thus far......
By issisteelman

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

My Toyota Tacoma is just over 4 years old. I only have 32,000 miles on it so far but the experience has been a good one. I live in the sticks in Northern NH and spend a lot of time on logging roads so many of the 32K miles have been hard ones. The only minor problem I've experienced thus far is that my e- brakes recently locked up. I'm also a little dissapointed in the gas mileage for a 4 cylinder (only getting about 17 mpg in town and 21 mpg on the highway). However, so far the truck is completely reliable and has lived up to my expectations regarding Toyota quality. I use my truck in all conditions to haul wood, to trailer my snowmachine, to trailer my 4-wheeler and it runs great!

Reliable, reliable, reliable. Goes great in the mud and snow.

I wish it got better gas mileage. Also, the tailgate should be built a little stronger (it is kind of flimsy).

I am proud to own this one.
By bigney

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I work with guys that have driven a
gazillion miles in their tacomas with
little or no problems which is why I
bought this one. I've only ridden
15000 miles in it yet but they've all
been enjoyable. Had so fun on the
beach watching others get stuck. It
feels tight and rugged. I would've
gotten the V6 if I could've sprung the
cash at the time.

4WD, nice reclining seats.

Move that darn clock where I can see it, get a little more fuel economy.