2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Tacoma Tuff
By Justin Doyle on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2001 SR5 with a 5 speed and 2.4 liter motor. I have used it for work everyday I have had it. I have routinely overloaded it to the point it has sat almost to the floor and yet it takes it day in and day out. I actually blew the transmission at 59,900 because of excessive loading and drove the truck to the dealership. The dealership said you don't have any gears left they are gone where is the tow truck? I told them I drove it here and they simply didn't believe me. Once that one major repair was done the new trans has taken even more abuse and the clutch only has 195,000 on it for day to day hauling and the occasional red line shift just for fun. What a great truck!

Good little truck
By john in GA on 08/09/09 22:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

It's a great truck for the work commute. About 22mpg. Then, when I need it - hauling furniture, groceries, lumber, propane, gravel, yard work, etc. There's some room for stuff behind the seat, and while a full car seat would be tight, my 4 year old fits well in a booster seat behind the passenger seat. I was also surprised to find it can haul U-Haul's largest trailer straight on the bumper, just had to buy the ball and lights. I've kept up with the maintenance schedule and have only had to replace things I've actually physically broken (advice: don't drop a tree near your truck, it may hurt the paint job.)

2001 Toyota Tacoma
By Toyota Lover on 08/01/09 10:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle brand new in 2001 and still use it for delivery business. I have put 328000 miles on it with only minimal problems. Replaced auto transmission at 300000 but that is the only thing major gone wrong with this many miles. Still starts easily and drives perfect. Does not smoke or burn oil and runs like a sewing machine. Most dependable reliable vehicle ever owned.

Just lost my '01 Tacoma
By William Stuart on 07/22/05 21:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Tacoma just got totalled with 118,000 miles. Bought it used in 2002 with only 7,000 miles. Added 37,000 miles per year. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. Was hoping to drive it for another 3 years or aprox 250,000 miles. I feel she would have got there. Started using synthetic oil @ 100,000 miles.

The best small truck
By jm on 04/09/05 00:37 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Its not a big truck, but its good for hauling furniture, lumber, mulch, and still have some comfort inside. So far, nothing other than regular service has been needed, other than tires. There's room behind the seat for a fair bit of stuff, too. There's even a locking ring for a car seat in the Xtra cab, but I don't know - it looks like that might be a tight fit.

Really nice truck
By Tommy T on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Love this truck! I have two kids and a very large dog and we all fit comfortably. I have driven over 65,000 miles in two years without a problem. The clock cannot be seen because of its location in relation to the steering wheel, and accessing the arm rest console cannot be easily done. Overall a great truck!

Think of it as an investment
By tacoma, california on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd Tacoma I've had. I'm keeping this one as long as it keeps running. If you are looking for a small truck (S10, Frontier, Ranger,etc) do not make the mistake of buying anything but Toyota. Reliability and resale value do not even come close with the others. The first one I had I sold because it didn't have the xtracab. It had 34k on it and never one problem. The new one has 13k and is much nicer than the first (3-in-1 stereo is a great standard feature). The gas mileage is great and the ride is much better than the 97 I used to have.