2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Trouble Filling Gas Tank
By chris335 on 03/24/13 09:36 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I've had the truck since it was new 2001.It's been a very reliable truck.The problem I've been having recently is that when I go to put gas in the pump keeps cutting off.Takes forever get a few dollars in.I've heard it may be the charcoal canister.Anybody have any answers on this?

update for 2001 Tacoma xcab 4x4 auto v6 sr5 trd
By cst010 on 08/23/12 17:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

300,056 miles and still going. Exterior and interior starting to show it's age and looking a little rusty and worn. Truck has sat outside it's entire life. Had the frame coated under recall but I did not have the frame rust problems others have reported. Gas milage has gone down. Getting about 15 city and maybe 20 highway. Still no major issues or problems Thought about trading in for 2012 model but I really don't care for the larger size of the new Tacoma's. Hope to get another 100k out of this one.

2001 Tacoma Xtra Cab 3.4L 4x4 5-Speed: Best Truck Ever
By lucas2718 on 03/27/11 11:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

My Tacoma, which I bought on September 11, 2001, and named Liberty, interestingly enough, has been the toughest and most reliable vehicle of which I have ever known. It has nearly 170,000 miles, and aside from the usual replacement of tires, filters, and brake pads, the only maintenence I've ever had done was preventative (timing belt, water pump, drive belts, and spark plugs at 100,000 miles). Aside from that, EVERYTHING is original, including the clutch, which I'm hard on, and even the freon for the A/C! Unbelievable! In short, the truck still drives like the day I bought it, it hardly burns a drop of oil, and if this old girl doesn't make it to 250,000 miles, I'll eat my hat!

Tacoma Tuff
By Justin Doyle on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2001 SR5 with a 5 speed and 2.4 liter motor. I have used it for work everyday I have had it. I have routinely overloaded it to the point it has sat almost to the floor and yet it takes it day in and day out. I actually blew the transmission at 59,900 because of excessive loading and drove the truck to the dealership. The dealership said you don't have any gears left they are gone where is the tow truck? I told them I drove it here and they simply didn't believe me. Once that one major repair was done the new trans has taken even more abuse and the clutch only has 195,000 on it for day to day hauling and the occasional red line shift just for fun. What a great truck!

230,000 mile report
By Dan sanchez on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned this truck for 6 years. it has 230,000 miles and it still runs great. no big problems just had to change the cat converters. and the struts and rear shocks. kind of a stiff ride but it's a truck. mileage is ok. could be better. i love this truck and would recommend it to anyone.

Toyota man for life
By mike on 08/28/10 19:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck in 2001 and wanted the double cab for the room. The interior could use a little more comfort but it has held up. This truck now has 135,000 on it and it has been the most reliable truck that I have ever owned. Just do the normal preventative maintenance and I think this truck will last forever. I have had to replace the front headlights and signal lights because they became fogged out. This truck has the TRD package on it and people think it is a 4WD. Take care of this truck and it will take care of you.

145,000 Miles and Going Strong
By Rod on 04/03/10 08:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Original Owner of my 2001 Tacoma, 145,000 miles no issues at all. Oil changes every 4 to 6,000 miles always used Valvoline 10/30. Live in ABQ so no rust issues. Pre-runner (TRD) with rear locking differential, great for snow and mud. Had some early issues with the front brake rotors but went back to Toyota original parts and issue was resolved. This is a GREAT truck and would recommend it to everyone, they are however very hard to find ($8,000 to $12,000 price tag) now since the 2004 and newer Tacomas are having the accelerator problems with the Toyota recalls. 300,000 mile old school Toyota's will live forever!

Bulletproof
By Philodog on 03/11/10 22:17 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

173,000 miles and still runs like new. It has the TRD package and gets used hard off road on a regular basis. Besides regular maintenance the only issues have been an O2 sensor, catalytic converter and a drive shaft center bearing. Still gets 18-20 on the highway. Stiff ride but it`s a real truck.

Perfect (for me)
By Hemonie on 01/28/10 11:16 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Only truck I've ever had that did EVERYTHING I asked of it. I bought it w/69,000 miles & after 5 yrs have just over 140,000. Replaced O2 sensors & cat converter outside of regular preventive maintenance. I routinely travel min maint & backroads, 50 miles of hwy/day of work, haul equipment/firewood, utilize 4WD, etc. Handles extremely well regardless of conditions. Fuel mileage is higher than acceptable given the demands I place on this truck. Tight cab even @ 9-10 yrs old, no rust. Outstanding truck! I don't have a family, but my dogs & I fit perfectly (not small dogs). Given the miles I drive for work & school, the weekend projects & dependability during inclement weather. I just love it!

Great Truck
By Mike on 01/12/10 14:41 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Awesome truck, no problems at all. Bought it with 130,000 miles on it and it runs like new. Has the rear locking differential which makes a huge difference on snow and ice (not a substitute for 4x4 though). Have around 300 pounds in the bed - haven't had to worry about getting stuck in the snow yet. It's a handsome looking truck. Well designed on the exterior. The interior has a few problems, most notably being the location of the clock. The seat belts don't always retract, but that's not a big deal. Gas mileage is about 17 mpg, maybe a little more. Great truck though. It is 2wd but is still a very capable truck.