2000 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Basic Truck
By Bill on 09/22/06 12:41 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Regular Cab SB

Great little truck;dependable, not fancy but will get you there every time.

The Sweetest Little Truck in the World.
By Ramona L. Duffy on 08/07/06 09:18 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

How do I love thee, let me count the ways. :) I have loved it from the moment I saw it and I have never seen another truck that I would rather have. Even the later models of the same truck, I find wanting, style-wise. I didn't like the wide edging over the tires on the later models. Of course I own it now and my mileage is low and it is still adorable! It has never been one moment's trouble. I am only five foot tall and the perfectly placed handles over the door make it snap to get in. I am 70 years old, by the way, and feel like a young chickie when I drive it. I have the bed liner and haul all sorts of stuff in it. I would buy it again. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Top Quality - Awesome!!!
By Idahoaggie98 on 08/03/06 13:41 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I purchased the truck new in 2000. After 110,000 miles, I have not had any mechanical problems. The quality of finish is impeccable. I need a bigger truck, but am unwilling to depart from such a reliable and capable steed. You cannot go wrong with this Tacoma. If only all vehicles were made this well.

Little Red Truck
By ColSpieth on 07/17/06 12:23 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

This has been a very good truck for me. I plan to keep it to 100,000 miles if possible or 2010 which ever comes first. No repair problems except for tires.

Great value
By Nick George on 06/03/06 15:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Regular Cab SB

This vehicle has almost 100,000 miles on it and it runs almost like new. It's a truck; rides and sounds like one, but is mechanically superior to anything I've ever owned with this many miles on it. Gas mileage is good at around 18 around town and 23 on the road.

Can't Stop It
By zippo on 03/01/06 13:24 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought a truck to be used for hunting, fishing and outdoor activities. The truck I have has the 2.7 lt engine. I have put this truck into some pretty nasty areas with mud up to the hubs and only got stuck twice. I have had friends with me while I was pulling a small boat offroad to go to one of our hunting locations tell me that there is no way we are going to make it though some of the areas we would go and the truck pull right through. One of my friends got stuck one time and the truck pulled his truck up a levee while in reverse. I have never put the truck in the shop for anything. The only thing that went out so far was the knock senser and I changed it my self. Awesome truck.

Great truck, but obviously a truck
By Carnut on 02/23/06 12:57 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Had the truck for a year, and no major problems to report. Drives through 2ft of snow like it's nothing, tows like there's nothing there. I was disappointed by the gas mileage - around 15 MPG around town, without a load. Ride is terrible with the TRD package, but it's in line with my expectations for a truck. It also has a very clunky manual transmission. Has had numerous annoying interior rattles, which I did not expect on a Toyota. It also feels quite tippy and has a lot of "bump steer" even on slow corners. All annoyances aside, it's a great truck. I like the simple, uncluttered styling, inside and out. It is very "trucky," but it feels solid and should last forever.

Can't beat a Toyota
By Jazbone on 01/09/06 16:44 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This is a follow up to my original posting after I purchased my Tacoma 4WD. I haven't had any major problems with this truck. The only problem was my aux trans shifter popped out of position when taking out of 4WD at 45 mph. It was an easy fix as the retainer clip had loosened out of its clip holder. It was put back in and I haven't had any problems with it since. Gas mileage has been as high as 24.7 and I average 19.5-21 mpg traveling the I-5 corridor through the Cascade mt range of Northern California. The comfort is still a problem over aggressive expansion joints or the rutty freeways of the entire Bay Area region! This truck has been great to me and I will trade up for a new one soon!!

Rough Rider
By lcartwright on 10/17/05 12:36 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

I found that my Truck can take a lot of rough riding, but it tends to drive rocky on paved roads too. Its only fault is lack of balance, which can be expected from a high profile vehichle. Otherwise, I love it!

Civil Engineer
By c. Hodges on 09/07/05 15:19 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Truck is five years old and is in perfect condition, no dents or scratches. I use synthetic oil throughout ... with K&N filters. I have never had one thing go wrong with my Toyota Prerunner.