Used 2000 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Reliable Small Truck
By isotope200mev

2000 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Purchased this vehicle new in 2000. 15 years later I only have 119,700 miles on the vehicle and plan to drive it for at least another 100,000 miles. Very reliable, performs well in mud and snow, high clearance....good overall off-road vehicle. Just replaced the front and rear struts/shocks (original equipment lasted close to 120K miles, not bad!). In addition to routine preventive maintenance, I have replaced the tires 2x and the battery 3x. I have been tracking my fuel economy since I purchased the vehicle and have received a 15 year average of 21.43 mpg. Interior space is lacking (did not purchase the extended cab), however, I did put a camper shell on the bed. This is a sharp looking small truck and is fun to drive. Toyota reliability is outstanding!

Update: 04/16/2016.....I now have 123,000 miles on my truck and no problems. It is amazing how many people want to buy this pickup truck from me. I make sure that I take the truck to my local Toyota dealer for maintenance at the recommended intervals. The new 2016 Tacoma trucks are nice, however, mine still has a lot of life in it so I will probably pass on getting a new vehicle. Maybe after 20 years.........

love my 2000 Tacoma 4cyl, 4WD, manual trans.
By p8ryot

2000 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought my 2000 Tacoma in 03 with 32K miles on it. It brought instant satisfaction from bumper to bumper. I've never had a vehicle that I found so fun to drive in city and highway alike. I now have about 175K miles. I had the water pump replaced 2 years back and a few bearings too, but otherwise it's been maintenance free.
Now it's time to pass it onto my driving age son and I will buy a newer Tacoma very soon. It's been a problem free, well built, fun to drive and fairly good mpg. I get around 320miles per tank in 2WD and about 290 in 4 WD. I'm gonna miss her but it's comforting knowing my son will be off to college in a reliable and fun truck.

The 4WD has provided years of great traction, stability, and handling. The reliability and build has also been excellent over the years.

Got a LEMON??
By Curtis

2000 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought a 2000 Toyota Tacoma with 54,000 miles ended up paying 14,000 dollars then later multiple misfires and low compression ratio. So I talked to someone who has the same year make and model. The same thing happened to him, multiple misfires and low compression ratio and it was bought from the same dealership. I am waiting two weeks so far, for them to call me back.

100,000 mile guarantee.

Best compact truck ever
By dannybayless

2000 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I've owned several compact trucks and this is by far the best all around. The 2.7 pulls the rather heavy truck very well even with the 33" tires on 18" heavy rims I've put on. The motor has potential to have much more power with a few minor adjustments, which I have done and am very pleased with. This truck has done all that's been requested of it while getting competitive gas mileage (19-23). I've pulled over 10,000 pounds long distances over rugged terrain with ease, climbed the Smokey mountains, and taken 1000 mile trips with only the extremely uncomfortable interior to complain about. Other than uncomfortable ride, it beat expectations by far. I look forward to the next generation.

rugged look, peppy engine, turning radius, ground clearance

durable but light duty drive train, uncomfortable and small interior, rough ride, bumper is falling off every one I've ever seen, locking hubs

I love my truck
By Jordan

2000 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This little truck is a beast, and more reliable than you can imagine. I bought it with 30k miles and have put 80k on it since. I have driven it all over Oregon and put it through its paces. I have taken it off road, put hours of stop and go traffic on the engine and loaded the bed with concrete and dirt with only one problem. The thermostat went out on a three hour trip to the coast. After I fixed the problem the truck has recovered just fine and has gotten the job done every time. It has 110k miles on it and the only thing I have ever had to do is change the lubricants, tires, and thermostat. Reliable. 18mpg winter/21 mpg city.

Its a damn sexy truck. Made for the urban outdoor enthusiast. 4WD works awesomely. Tacoma is built like a truck should be. Handles well, drives even better.

Cab space is moderately small. I am 5'9 and it fits me just fine, but anyone that drives it who is much bigger is usually a little cramped.