Used 2000 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

love my 2000 Tacoma 4cyl, 4WD, manual trans.
By p8ryot

2000 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought my 2000 Tacoma in 03 with 32K miles on it. It brought instant satisfaction from bumper to bumper. I've never had a vehicle that I found so fun to drive in city and highway alike. I now have about 175K miles. I had the water pump replaced 2 years back and a few bearings too, but otherwise it's been maintenance free. Now it's time to pass it onto my driving age son and I will buy a newer Tacoma very soon. It's been a problem free, well built, fun to drive and fairly good mpg. I get around 320miles per tank in 2WD and about 290 in 4 WD. I'm gonna miss her but it's comforting knowing my son will be off to college in a reliable and fun truck.

Favorite Features

The 4WD has provided years of great traction, stability, and handling. The reliability and build has also been excellent over the years.

Amazing
By mudrunner23

2000 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck has been in my wife's family since 2002 and it has been amazing. Other than routine oil changes, tune ups, brakes and a battery last year this truck has never needed a repair. That is amazing even for a Toyota. It now has 162k on it and shows no signs of slowing down. The gas mileage is great for a truck that looks as mean as it does, 19-21 city and 22-24 highway. It is user friendly and fun to drive. It still regular gets compliments and people asking me to sell it to them.

Favorite Features

Amazing reliability, tight handling, gas mileage, good acceleration, looks. TRD Package.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint would be that the seats could use some more lumbar support for long trips.

Not One Complaint!
By srogers50

2000 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought used in 2005 w/72000 miles, now has 141000, i had both a Chevy and gmc light truck, both were junk compared to my Toyota. Waterpump only thing I've had to replace, did myself saved $600, Extremely reliable, love the ride, cause it rides like a truck. Regular maintenance done and it still runs like the day i bought it. Only problem i wish it had 4wd, other than that i will keep this truck until they tell me that there is literally nothing you can do to fix it. there is nothing i haven't been able to do with this truck.

Favorite Features

Ease of working on engine myself, TRD package, love the load and towing capacity,

Suggested Improvements

4 disc brakes and ABS

Running Strong after 10 Yrs and Counting
By JH

2000 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my PreRunner July 2000 with 5 miles. Now at 136,500 it's still 100% dependable. I take it everywhere...work, hunting, ATV carrier, wood hauling. You name it and it's always there for me. Outside of the normal maintenance (brakes, fluids, tires, etc) no problem what so ever. I've been running Toyo's on it since 2007 and I wish I would have made that switch 7 years prior. Simply a great vehicle. I don't think my teenager is going to get this truck. I'll get him something else. ;-)

Favorite Features

Power Windows Power Locks Jump seats Exterior appearance is bold! Cab set up is awesome!

Suggested Improvements

A larger gas tank (maybe 20 gals).

Almost still original after 152,000
By GB

2000 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my Toyota Tacoma with 40,000 miles on it. 7 years later I now have 152,000 miles on it. Other than routine items such as brakes, tires, batteries, air filters. Everything is still original. I did have to replace the o2 sensor at 102,000 miles. Great truck, my kids will be still driving it 10 years from now.

Favorite Features

I love the body style and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

I wish I would have gotten the V6 and a 4X4, for camping reasons.