Reliable, Reliable, Reliable
By keith on
1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB
SR5 V-6 4x4 5 spd - all I have done to this truck is oil, front brakes, plugs, tires, shocks and service tranny and transfer case. Water pump at 74k under extend warranty and timing belt at 100k ($300 not bad for 100k of driving). Mileage is 20.5-21 overall. Best mileage was 23 highway cruising at 65 (I run 31x10.50 Michelins). The interior is on par with a 99. A/C is extemely cold. I find the seats to be comfortable (I'm 6'2). If you drive it and maintain it the way it was meant to be driven then you will have no problems with this vehicle.
Favorite Features
I think the exterior styling is tough and rugged. I like the ground clearance, stance and the ability to go almost anywhere. I know that when I put the key in it WILL start. No leaks, no drips no errors.
Suggested Improvements
My one and only complaint is that the rear suspension seems to bottom out easily. There is not much clearance from rear axle to frame. Replaced rear shocks and front struts thinking this might stopped it - only helped a little. Overall, you cannot go wrong - do the maintenance.