Great Truck
By KeithK on
1999 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB
I bought this truck used with 31k and currently have 99k - tires, water pump, frt, brakes and shocks/struts are all that I have in it. Power from v6 is good but thrashy at WOT, good gas mileage for 4x4 - 20 mpg, but I have gotten as good as 22 on highway at 65 mph for 3 hours. Interior is utilitarian but showing absolutely no wear, 5 spd is a little whiney in 1st and 2nd - no problem with power on highway - very rarely have to take it out of 5th to pass. Trailering is good provided you have draw tight hitch. Payload is one thing that concerns me - leaf springs seem to be fatigued even when not fully loaded weight wise - new shocks did not help - still rides well though -A/C works well in Tx heat,
Favorite Features
Toyota reliability and overall stance of truck - it is substantial and beefy. It is not a plush car like ride and that is fine - IT IS A TRUCK. Go anywhere 4x4 with moderate comfort inside - a bed liner is a must.
Suggested Improvements
I know that the 07 has addressed my issues - upgraded interior and more sound deadening materials. Looks and construction could not be better - there really is no telling how long it will run but maintenance is the key - it still gets 20 mpg with 99k on odo - if you find one taken care of, buy it.