Used 1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Dream Truck
By Man-Child

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought the truck this weekend with 67,000 miles on it and absoutely love it, I've owned a Chevy S10 and a Nissan Hardbody and so far this is what I've been searching for. A small truck with lots of power with high ground clearance and good looks.

V6 Power, Looks, Comfort.

Better cabin layout

I love this truck!
By love my truck

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck thinking it was a 4wd at first sight, when I found out it was 2wd I was slightly disappointed until I drove it. I have had no problems whatsoever out of it. I have replaced the tires @70000, windshield wipers,front brake pads and headlights, thats it. A careless woman struck me and did 6500. in damage to it and now that I am driving a rental I can't stand it, I miss it even more. Only thing I would trade it for would be a 4door model of the same thing.

trd package, stereo system, clearance.

nothing, I truly enjoy it.

Soild truck
By boxer10

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck. Quiet on the highway, handles nicely. It may be 2wd but this thing flies through the dessert and off road. The locking read differential is great if you get stuck. Great daily driver. Very comfortable.

Oil changes and thats about it. No mechanical problems. Toyota=Relability.

Interior could be improved. Less plactic, which easily scratches would be nice. An accessor third door would be great.

love the truck but some problems
By jenjoeraines

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my truck brand new and I have had to take it to the shop for more then regular maintenance a few times. At 30,000 miles the air bag hose got tangled in the steering column, had to be fixed. At 54,000 miles the air flow meter had to be replaced. Now at 65,000 miles and 2 clutches later the clutch pedal continually squeakes loudly and there is a "chirping" noise in the clutch that are just "part of mechanical wear" that nobody can fix making it hard to sell. I wouldn't have expected to need a clutch at 65,000 miles either. Other than that I love the truck, it has handled well for me and does great in every road condition.

The design of the truck, the handling, pretty reasonable gas mileage for a V6.

Make the back seat a little more car seat friendly as it is too small and does not secure the car seat in well at all--latch system would help a lot.

Great truck!
By equin

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

Very reliable truck considering I abused it for 145K miles. Only had to replace the battery (~100K), rear axle oil seals (~130K - only $7 each & easy to replace) & exhaust manifold (hairline crack ~140K - good excuse to get a header, another easy install). Holds up well with heavy loads. The 2.7L is real easy to maintain and practically bulletproof, except for the ex manifold. Does real well off-road even w/2wd. Lifts and other mods to improve its already great off-road ability are also easy to do. Biggest complaint is the uncomfortable front seats - could use more padding. Rear seats are for tiny kids only.

Drivetrain reliability, overall build quality and fun to drive off-road.

More comfortable front seats. Stronger exhaust manifold.

• SUV