Used 1999 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Wonderful Value
By heeyy_joe

1999 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

Other than regular oil changes, a tuneup at 90k, and a replacement thermostat in 2008, the only costs have been gasoline. Have done lots of hauling over the years, some towing too - never any isuues. This has been a great truck for the money.

Great air conditioning for the Texas heat.

None

I will never trade this truck!
By Tacoma Lover

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I purchased this truck with 32k odo and now have 106k. One water pump and normal maintenance is all. The mechanic at dealership wanted to buy on the spot when changing timing belt. I cannot part with this truck. Overall, 20 - 21 mpg combined (v6, 4wd, x-cab). AC is excellent (Tx resident). V6 has plenty of power. Towing is good as long as you use draw tight hitch - towed over 5500 short distance with no problem.

Overall appearance, reliability and toughness. Love the v6 and off road capabilities. Toyota could not have made an easier truck to work on.

Front suspension does not have much down travel thus resulting in bumping cushions on a-frame. New shocks helped some but that was the way it was designed. Rear suspension seems to sag when moderately loaded (500-700 lbs). New ones have a clock and mine doesn't - my only complaint - big deal!!

Great Little Taco
By TacoTim

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

I will have to say that Toyota did a fairly good job with this truck however they did cut corners in some places. One place that does need improvement would be the seats. Long trips or bumpy roads, I have a lot of back aches with this. Also the interior on some models were equipped with clocks and some without. Why a clock you say? Why not it looks cool and completes the look of just a blank black square. Upgrade you say, well yeah but for $80.00, come on I mean go to Wal-mart and buy a cheaper one and tape it over the black hole. Over all though good truck and excellent duribility.

Good on gas, fun to drive, very reliable and exterior styling. Almost bullet proof and good crash ratings.

ABS would be nice and traction control. Better more comfortable seats or bucket seats. Oh yeah and a clock to finish the interior. Once again the truck is specked out for one, just throw it in or sell it cheaper than $80.00.

Still Goin' Strong
By Taco Lover

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

SR5 V-6 5 spd 4WD EX Cab - I cannot tell you how much I still love this vehicle. I cannot think about buying a new one. Oil, front brakes, water pump, battery and timing belt is all it has new in 105k. Still get 20.5-21 mpg overall. Best mileage has been 23 but that was puttin' at 65. Taco is easy to work on and it has never left me stranded. I have done things and gone places in this vehicle that I thought were impossible. I keep maintaining it and it keeps me down the road. I bought used w/ 32k but I wish I bought new so that I would have owned it for longer. There really is no telling how long this baby will last. It still looks and drives too good to buy new.

I love the versatility - 4wd, rear cubby holes in xcab, overall exterior stance and height. I really like knowing that when my wife drives this vehicle (that is rare) she will get home safely because it will not leave her on the side of the road. I can take this thing anywhere and not get stuck.

I know that this is a 99 but the interior is rather utilitarian. The rear leafsprings seem to want to bottom out when loaded with 500-600 pounds - new shocks did help some. That is my only complaint and they are minor! You cannot go wrong with this vehicle. Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance!!

Reliable, Reliable, Reliable
By keith

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

SR5 V-6 4x4 5 spd - all I have done to this truck is oil, front brakes, plugs, tires, shocks and service tranny and transfer case. Water pump at 74k under extend warranty and timing belt at 100k ($300 not bad for 100k of driving). Mileage is 20.5-21 overall. Best mileage was 23 highway cruising at 65 (I run 31x10.50 Michelins). The interior is on par with a 99. A/C is extemely cold. I find the seats to be comfortable (I'm 6'2). If you drive it and maintain it the way it was meant to be driven then you will have no problems with this vehicle.

I think the exterior styling is tough and rugged. I like the ground clearance, stance and the ability to go almost anywhere. I know that when I put the key in it WILL start. No leaks, no drips no errors.

My one and only complaint is that the rear suspension seems to bottom out easily. There is not much clearance from rear axle to frame. Replaced rear shocks and front struts thinking this might stopped it - only helped a little. Overall, you cannot go wrong - do the maintenance.