1999 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
So long as it doesnt rain....
By AndyTommo on 08/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Truck is 1 of the better looking ones out there, the V6 was quicker off the mark than most cars, BUT there lies the problem. This truck is horrendous as soon as the conditions turn anything but completely dry. Constant wheel spins, even when Ive been doing 30mph and tried to overtake someone; go round a corner and the things rear end spins out. HORRIBLE HANDLING IN RAIN/SNOW/ICE. To the extent that last weekend exiting a highway, the rear end fishtailed, truck span 360 and rolled over. I got out luckily, it held up well (Il give it that) but it shouldnt spin & roll in the first place. Who makes a truck like this without traction or even ABS??

prerunner
By delawaredrew on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck , but has persistent shake at highway speeds. No work has ever solved it. Still hauls loads, and runs reliably. Sucks on bumps until it's moving fast (70 mph +) Never left me stranded in 80000 miles

Bullet proof truck
By Pete Toyota (alias) on 08/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

The 2.7 liter 4 cylinder is underpowered at high altitude (5000 plus ft.) but my truck has had no repairs in the 59,000 miles I have driven it. I get about 22 mpg in town but less at 75 mph.

1999 toyota truck
By ACKKING on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Regular Cab SB

I Injoy Driving this truck more than any other truck I've Ever owned. styling is great,compfortable todrive, handling is close to perfect as you'll find in any small to full size truck.

Dream Truck
By Man-Child on 06/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought the truck this weekend with 67,000 miles on it and absoutely love it, I've owned a Chevy S10 and a Nissan Hardbody and so far this is what I've been searching for. A small truck with lots of power with high ground clearance and good looks.

I love this truck!
By love my truck on 05/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck thinking it was a 4wd at first sight, when I found out it was 2wd I was slightly disappointed until I drove it. I have had no problems whatsoever out of it. I have replaced the tires @70000, windshield wipers,front brake pads and headlights, thats it. A careless woman struck me and did 6500. in damage to it and now that I am driving a rental I can't stand it, I miss it even more. Only thing I would trade it for would be a 4door model of the same thing.

Soild truck
By boxer10 on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck. Quiet on the highway, handles nicely. It may be 2wd but this thing flies through the dessert and off road. The locking read differential is great if you get stuck. Great daily driver. Very comfortable.

Great truck for the $
By Felito on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this baby brand new in 1999. This is a very powerful 2.4 lt 4 cyl engine. I used to tow a 20' Commander jet sky boat 3500 lbs from Corona, CA to the Colorado river and I was amazed at this great little truck pulling avility. It has over 80K miles and all I had to replace was tires and front brakes. What more can you ask for?

love the truck but some problems
By jenjoeraines on 11/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my truck brand new and I have had to take it to the shop for more then regular maintenance a few times. At 30,000 miles the air bag hose got tangled in the steering column, had to be fixed. At 54,000 miles the air flow meter had to be replaced. Now at 65,000 miles and 2 clutches later the clutch pedal continually squeakes loudly and there is a "chirping" noise in the clutch that are just "part of mechanical wear" that nobody can fix making it hard to sell. I wouldn't have expected to need a clutch at 65,000 miles either. Other than that I love the truck, it has handled well for me and does great in every road condition.

Great truck!
By equin on 11/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

Very reliable truck considering I abused it for 145K miles. Only had to replace the battery (~100K), rear axle oil seals (~130K - only $7 each & easy to replace) & exhaust manifold (hairline crack ~140K - good excuse to get a header, another easy install). Holds up well with heavy loads. The 2.7L is real easy to maintain and practically bulletproof, except for the ex manifold. Does real well off-road even w/2wd. Lifts and other mods to improve its already great off-road ability are also easy to do. Biggest complaint is the uncomfortable front seats - could use more padding. Rear seats are for tiny kids only.