1999 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
My Little Trooper
By TacoScott on 01/29/09 15:24 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This is easily the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I have the base 4WD model with the 2.7 and few frills. I got it in 2001 with 40k miles. I'm a homeowner with the more than occasional need to haul stuff around and the every day need of getting back and forth to work through the occasional snow storm. It has fulfilled all of my expectations with no major repairs until about 131k miles when the clutch went bad. Still has the factory brakes and exhaust but looks like a little body rust will need tending to shortly. Not bad considering it hasn't seen a single day inside a garage since I've had it.

Built Toyota Tough
By 1EarthMother on 08/12/08 21:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is one exceptional vehicle. Fuel economy is one minor drawback (17 mpg), but the rest of the pluses outweigh the slight fuel economy problem. Anyone who gets a higher number must have 60 lbs. of air in the tires and driving with a 75 mph tailwind. My truck is almost 10 yrs old and I still feel confident to drive it cross-country and back again. I honestly feel this truck will last forever.

A Keeper
By Roadrunner on 04/20/08 12:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

Handles excellent after installing KYB gas adjust shocks. Driving mellow brings 24.5 MPG. The engine just purrs! Poeple inquire about it all the time as I keep it super clean. By far the best I've owned.

Tough little truck
By larry P on 03/31/08 10:40 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have replaced the exhaust manifold, rear leaf springs, and the universal joint at the differential twice. It does not burn or leak oil. The steering gear and suspension are tighter than a friends much newer full- size domestic truck with 1/6th the miles. Manual transmission and original clutch.

Wonderful Value
By heeyy_joe on 03/16/08 14:29 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

Other than regular oil changes, a tuneup at 90k, and a replacement thermostat in 2008, the only costs have been gasoline. Have done lots of hauling over the years, some towing too - never any isuues. This has been a great truck for the money.

I will never trade this truck!
By Tacoma Lover on 01/06/08 19:37 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I purchased this truck with 32k odo and now have 106k. One water pump and normal maintenance is all. The mechanic at dealership wanted to buy on the spot when changing timing belt. I cannot part with this truck. Overall, 20 - 21 mpg combined (v6, 4wd, x-cab). AC is excellent (Tx resident). V6 has plenty of power. Towing is good as long as you use draw tight hitch - towed over 5500 short distance with no problem.

Great Little Taco
By TacoTim on 12/16/07 10:57 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

I will have to say that Toyota did a fairly good job with this truck however they did cut corners in some places. One place that does need improvement would be the seats. Long trips or bumpy roads, I have a lot of back aches with this. Also the interior on some models were equipped with clocks and some without. Why a clock you say? Why not it looks cool and completes the look of just a blank black square. Upgrade you say, well yeah but for $80.00, come on I mean go to Wal-mart and buy a cheaper one and tape it over the black hole. Over all though good truck and excellent duribility.

Still Goin' Strong
By Taco Lover on 08/28/07 15:41 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

SR5 V-6 5 spd 4WD EX Cab - I cannot tell you how much I still love this vehicle. I cannot think about buying a new one. Oil, front brakes, water pump, battery and timing belt is all it has new in 105k. Still get 20.5-21 mpg overall. Best mileage has been 23 but that was puttin' at 65. Taco is easy to work on and it has never left me stranded. I have done things and gone places in this vehicle that I thought were impossible. I keep maintaining it and it keeps me down the road. I bought used w/ 32k but I wish I bought new so that I would have owned it for longer. There really is no telling how long this baby will last. It still looks and drives too good to buy new.

Reliable, Reliable, Reliable
By keith on 08/11/07 11:46 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

SR5 V-6 4x4 5 spd - all I have done to this truck is oil, front brakes, plugs, tires, shocks and service tranny and transfer case. Water pump at 74k under extend warranty and timing belt at 100k ($300 not bad for 100k of driving). Mileage is 20.5-21 overall. Best mileage was 23 highway cruising at 65 (I run 31x10.50 Michelins). The interior is on par with a 99. A/C is extemely cold. I find the seats to be comfortable (I'm 6'2). If you drive it and maintain it the way it was meant to be driven then you will have no problems with this vehicle.

You cannot go wrong
By Kyle on 07/27/07 13:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I purchased this truck used with 34k. I now have 101k and other than tires, brakes, water pump and belts it has never let me down. Pay the dealership for timing belt replacement - crank pulley is too tight to loosen. Overall mileage for v6 4x4 5 spd is around 20-20.5 city and 22, maybe 23 on highway if you are less than 75 mph. Towing is good with receiver and 4wd is excellent. I have gotten stuck one time. I want an 07 Tacoma but I do not want to get rid of this one. Paint, interior is like new. Ride quality is so so for a 4wd with 31x10.50 tires. Reliabilty and fun factor is why I still have this truck.