Used 1999 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great truck
By jacobbert9

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

Ive had my Tacoma for the last 2 years (30,000 miles). It currently has just over 182,000. It's hauled everything I've thrown in it including rocks, firewood, and cement bags. Loaded down to the bump stops and I couldnt even tell from the performance. I've towed several thousand pound trailers without problem. I put a few hundred pounds in it for snow storms and it does almost as well as any 4x4 especially with tire chains on. The 2.7 is a bit wimpy but it gets the job done. The only things I've replaced have been the radiator, catalytic converter (orginial one was stolen) and the brakes. I got rear-ended by a guy doing 25 and the bumper just got bent. Recommend to everyone, awesome truck!

Reliability,

The rear seats are extremely cramped. That is the only real downside.

'99 PreRunner Taco
By Jesse A

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this Tacoma thinking I would only use it a few years but this baby with the 2.7L motor is rock solid! I did add Bilsteins/headers/Cat-Back exhaust and this baby purrs. The biggest plus on this vehicle is that it's reliable and keeps on going. My only wish is that more aftermarket items would be available for the 4 cyl. Right now I have 150k on mine and it runs like it was brand new. Great vehicle and worth every penny I paid for it.

It's reliability! It just goes and doesn't ask a lot in return. The 4 cyl motor (2.7L) is rock solid with the chain timing belt just goes. Dependable!

Don't change it - Keep the no nonsense trucks like this. No need for all the additions. Its a truck!

Best truck I ever owned
By robert cubberley

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck from my dad who had gotten rear ended side swiped and hit head on in it but most of the damage was cosmetic except the head on - that one crushed the radiator. All the damage was repaired shortly after every accident. Even after all this the truck survived me, a young offroader that enjoyed getting the wheels off the ground. I beat that truck hard and she took it all in stride, oversized tires and all. I also got rear ended by a Honda Civic doing about 40 which made a v out of my rear bumper and dented the cab a little but she drove into the shop. One last rear ender from a 3/4 ton Dodge finally bent the frame. I would love to own one again.

Strong and reliable. Can be jumped over four feet high numerous times. Really takes a beating. Very comfortable. Very stylish design.

Lacks a little in power.

Dream Truck
By Man-Child

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought the truck this weekend with 67,000 miles on it and absoutely love it, I've owned a Chevy S10 and a Nissan Hardbody and so far this is what I've been searching for. A small truck with lots of power with high ground clearance and good looks.

V6 Power, Looks, Comfort.

Better cabin layout

I love this truck!
By love my truck

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck thinking it was a 4wd at first sight, when I found out it was 2wd I was slightly disappointed until I drove it. I have had no problems whatsoever out of it. I have replaced the tires @70000, windshield wipers,front brake pads and headlights, thats it. A careless woman struck me and did 6500. in damage to it and now that I am driving a rental I can't stand it, I miss it even more. Only thing I would trade it for would be a 4door model of the same thing.

trd package, stereo system, clearance.

nothing, I truly enjoy it.