Used 1999 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great Reliable Truck - But Dull to Drive
By handsomerob1

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck brand new 15 years ago and now have 72,000 miles - and she's a garage queen. Finally replaced the original tires at 66,000 and still on the original brake pads! Shocks got squishy early on so replaced them with KYB's at 51,000. The only repeat problem is with the Idle Air Control ("IAC") valve which tends to go out on these trucks. I replaced it once and now need to replace it again. The part is about $350 at Toyota and, with a couple hours work, I can install it myself. This is a great looking truck - white with the TRD package - but like most Toyotas, it drives with all the personality of a dial tone. Just plain dull, like you might as well be driving a Camry.

Great looking truck, very reliable, predictable, does what it should. Not a trace of rust but what do you expect from a truck that spends its life inside of a garage.

Weak motor. 190 HP from a V6?? I wonder sometimes how they could design a V6 that feels almost as anemic as a 4 cyl. And the gas mileage - I drive like a granny and have always gotten just 17 mpg. Maybe 19 on the highway. Window sticker stated 19 and 23, that must have been in the days before truth was required for MPG ratings. Also, the dome light keeps burning out, I finally gave up and decided to live without one. I wanted a manual trans but they did not offer them in '99. TRD performance improvements are intriguing but the cost is just not reasonable.

My Yoda may last forever
By NAgreenComa

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought yoda new in 1999. Aside from a major accident in 2007 ($16,000 in repairs), all I have done is routine maintenance and I am at 135,000 mi. Regular oil changes at every 5k and new breaks at 90k. I don't have a 4x4, but I take it muddin sometimes, and it makes we work hard to get it stuck (using the winch is half the fun). Aside from its stunning good looks and how fun it is to drive, it is extremely reliable. It always starts on the first turn, even in the cold.

It's tuff, perdy, fun to drive, and an all around dependable ride. I do plan on keeping this for as long as it runs. If I do decide to get another vehicle as some point, kid friendly or what have you, yoda will still be part of the family :)

My only complaint is how light the back end is. If there is a light dew on the ground in the morning, it's easy to fish tail. You can always get a heavier bumper put on though, which I've been meaning to do for the past 9ish years. But seriously, who doesn't love a good fish tail now and then?

BEST LOOKING TRUCK PERIOD!!
By Lt. Duke

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great looking truck. Reliability is self proven. V-6 has good power. Quality is unmatched. I have had several other trucks, but this is the overall best truck I have had. Not the most comfortable truck, not a lot of fancy buttons, simple yet refined.

LOOKS and reliability....

better seats, smoother ride.

prerunner
By delawaredrew

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck , but has persistent shake at highway speeds. No work has ever solved it. Still hauls loads, and runs reliably. Sucks on bumps until it's moving fast (70 mph +) Never left me stranded in 80000 miles

extended cab, enough bed to move my motorcycle and rescue others

Soild truck
By boxer10

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck. Quiet on the highway, handles nicely. It may be 2wd but this thing flies through the dessert and off road. The locking read differential is great if you get stuck. Great daily driver. Very comfortable.

Oil changes and thats about it. No mechanical problems. Toyota=Relability.

Interior could be improved. Less plactic, which easily scratches would be nice. An accessor third door would be great.