Used 1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

A Great truck to own, wish I could buy another.
By wolfnium

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my truck new in 1999. I ran 2 crank cases of 10w-30 Castrol regular motor oil. After that, I have used 10w-30 Castrol synthetic motor oil ever since. I change oil about every 5000 miles. I have had to replace the electronics to repair a left turn signal issue that cost about $500.00. I have had to replace the power steering pump, twice as the first one was a rebuild and under warranty. I have had to replace the battery once and also the catalytic convert (about $1000.00). I still have the original clutch and have replaced the front brakes and rotors one time. My truck now has 456,5000+ miles on it. I would drive it to across the US with no worries. It has been a great truck.

the door pockets and the center console. Intermittent wipers. I like the way the gas cap is secured with a door lock using the ignition key.

the switch for the AC is plastic and needs to be better made so it does not break.

Great Little Truck
By Deadgirl1

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck in 2002 used w/ 36,000 miles. It's been a very reliable truck. I have but over 120,000 miles on it and I've only had to replace the brakes, an O2 sensor, and the battery. Everything else has held up and it still runs great. I used to commute over 600 miles on weekends and the truck never gave me any problems. Great gas mileage for a pickup and does well in winter weather despite having no weight in the back. I would buy this truck again in an instant!

Great on all manner of trips. Very reliable. Tilt steering wheel and cruise control.

More comfortable extended seats,

Great Little Taco
By TacoTim

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

I will have to say that Toyota did a fairly good job with this truck however they did cut corners in some places. One place that does need improvement would be the seats. Long trips or bumpy roads, I have a lot of back aches with this. Also the interior on some models were equipped with clocks and some without. Why a clock you say? Why not it looks cool and completes the look of just a blank black square. Upgrade you say, well yeah but for $80.00, come on I mean go to Wal-mart and buy a cheaper one and tape it over the black hole. Over all though good truck and excellent duribility.

Good on gas, fun to drive, very reliable and exterior styling. Almost bullet proof and good crash ratings.

ABS would be nice and traction control. Better more comfortable seats or bucket seats. Oh yeah and a clock to finish the interior. Once again the truck is specked out for one, just throw it in or sell it cheaper than $80.00.

Bullet proof truck
By Pete Toyota (alias)

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

The 2.7 liter 4 cylinder is underpowered at high altitude (5000 plus ft.) but my truck has had no repairs in the 59,000 miles I have driven it. I get about 22 mpg in town but less at 75 mph.

Great handling; looks good

Cup holder could be better, not enough weight on rear wheels, the bed could be made stronger

good truck
By Marino

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have never had any problems with this vehicle. I was a delivery driver for 2 years and drove it into the ground. As I said before, it is completly relible, and has made many long and short trips with me.