1999 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Great truck
By jacobbert9 on 02/19/13 20:13 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

Ive had my Tacoma for the last 2 years (30,000 miles). It currently has just over 182,000. It's hauled everything I've thrown in it including rocks, firewood, and cement bags. Loaded down to the bump stops and I couldnt even tell from the performance. I've towed several thousand pound trailers without problem. I put a few hundred pounds in it for snow storms and it does almost as well as any 4x4 especially with tire chains on. The 2.7 is a bit wimpy but it gets the job done. The only things I've replaced have been the radiator, catalytic converter (orginial one was stolen) and the brakes. I got rear-ended by a guy doing 25 and the bumper just got bent. Recommend to everyone, awesome truck!

'99 PreRunner Taco
By Jesse A on 03/08/10 11:48 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this Tacoma thinking I would only use it a few years but this baby with the 2.7L motor is rock solid! I did add Bilsteins/headers/Cat-Back exhaust and this baby purrs. The biggest plus on this vehicle is that it's reliable and keeps on going. My only wish is that more aftermarket items would be available for the 4 cyl. Right now I have 150k on mine and it runs like it was brand new. Great vehicle and worth every penny I paid for it.

Best truck I ever owned
By robert cubberley on 10/10/09 19:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck from my dad who had gotten rear ended side swiped and hit head on in it but most of the damage was cosmetic except the head on - that one crushed the radiator. All the damage was repaired shortly after every accident. Even after all this the truck survived me, a young offroader that enjoyed getting the wheels off the ground. I beat that truck hard and she took it all in stride, oversized tires and all. I also got rear ended by a Honda Civic doing about 40 which made a v out of my rear bumper and dented the cab a little but she drove into the shop. One last rear ender from a 3/4 ton Dodge finally bent the frame. I would love to own one again.

Dream Truck
By Man-Child on 06/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought the truck this weekend with 67,000 miles on it and absoutely love it, I've owned a Chevy S10 and a Nissan Hardbody and so far this is what I've been searching for. A small truck with lots of power with high ground clearance and good looks.

I love this truck!
By love my truck on 05/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck thinking it was a 4wd at first sight, when I found out it was 2wd I was slightly disappointed until I drove it. I have had no problems whatsoever out of it. I have replaced the tires @70000, windshield wipers,front brake pads and headlights, thats it. A careless woman struck me and did 6500. in damage to it and now that I am driving a rental I can't stand it, I miss it even more. Only thing I would trade it for would be a 4door model of the same thing.

Great truck!
By equin on 11/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

Very reliable truck considering I abused it for 145K miles. Only had to replace the battery (~100K), rear axle oil seals (~130K - only $7 each & easy to replace) & exhaust manifold (hairline crack ~140K - good excuse to get a header, another easy install). Holds up well with heavy loads. The 2.7L is real easy to maintain and practically bulletproof, except for the ex manifold. Does real well off-road even w/2wd. Lifts and other mods to improve its already great off-road ability are also easy to do. Biggest complaint is the uncomfortable front seats - could use more padding. Rear seats are for tiny kids only.

QUIT LOOKING AND BUY THE TOYOTA!
By COLEMAN on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

I HAVE OWNED SEVERAL TRUCKS FROM DIFFERENT MAKERS OVER THE YEARS AND BY FAR, TOYOTA MAKES THE ABSOLUTE BEST QUALITY DRIVELINE AND, I THINK, ONE OF THE BEST LOOKING SMALL TRUCKS ON THE MARKET. I HAVE HAD NO MECHANICAL ISSUES WITH THE EXCEPTION OF FRONT WHEEL ROTOR WARPING SLIGHTLY. FOR SOME REASON TOYOTA SEEMS TO HAVE AN ISSUE WITH ROTORS. THAT SAID, THE BUILD AND ATTENTION TO QUALITY THROUGHOUT THE VEHICLE SET THIS TRUCK APART FROM ANY OF ITS COMPETITORS.

A few minor complaints
By T0pS1aker on 10/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

Well, for starters, the truck hasn't let me down yet [knock on wood]! I love the styling on the exterior, although the interior can use a little work. The major complaint is the jerk that happens when you let go off the brake sometimes. I haven't figured out whether it is related to transmission (my best guess), or the breaks. The dealer says there is nothing wrong. The gear shifter also moves slightly by itself when I drive (voodoo, I suppose). Road noise can be a bit of a problem, but that's expected with the tires that big. Positives: great AC, fine handling, superb off-road capabilities, lots of room for a "compact" truck, rear- locking is always good.