Used 1999 Toyota Tacoma Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

RIP my dearly departed Tacoma
By janakins42

1999 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck was the best vehicle I have ever had. She made me fall in love with trucks and Toyotas. I fell in love with her after I learned how to drive a stick. I bought her with 60k miles and put 100k on her before her unfortunate end. She saved my life after colliding with a Grand Am. I have never had to do any major repairs or anything else besides routine maintainence. She took all the abuse I gave her. She got me through a very bad winter back in 08. She was even my home for a couple of months. I miss her dearly. I cry everytime I think about her. I haven't had a decent car since...not even my 4Runner. Hold onto this car forever. This car will never let you down.

Open engine...easy to work on. Did my own tune up myself. Easy to shift. Little maintainence. Lasts forever. Doesn't have much "brains" to worry about.

The Best Car
By Roger's owner

1999 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

This was one of the most amazing trucks, it is no wonder they are so hard to find! My Tacoma was at about 118,000 miles when I drifted of the road on a rainy day and overcorrected, which caused my car to flip when it hit a soft spot. I walked out of the car with only a scratch on my arm. Although the damage exceeded the value of the car, it kept me completely safe. This car showed no signs of age, and with routine oil changes would have lasted probably 200,000 more miles. It's bed served all my purposes, offered organizational storage, and is a car I would by far recommend to anyone.

The frame of this car is like a tank. And you can fit SO MUCH in it.

It's a truck, so I averaged about 14 mpg. It also would fishtail on wet roads when braking, but never too dangerously.

Little beast of a truck
By wade

1999 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have used this truck to pull a 2500 lb. trailer 100s of miles every weekend for the last 3 years. The only parts I have had to replace are the clutch, tires, ball joints and shocks. If I had not towed so much weight (probably more than the intended towing capacity) I'm sure I would not have had to replace the clutch, ball joints or shocks. This thing has been one hell of a little beast for getting the job done. I have just replaced it for my towing purposes with a three quarter ton van. I sure couldn't have towed my trailer with any other manufacturer's 4 cylinder mini truck. Toyota rules this market.

Gas mileage. Handling. Cold as ice air condition (I'm in southeast Louisiana). And it's still a good looking body design.

The rear springs could be stronger.

A Keeper
By Roadrunner

1999 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

Handles excellent after installing KYB gas adjust shocks. Driving mellow brings 24.5 MPG. The engine just purrs! Poeple inquire about it all the time as I keep it super clean. By far the best I've owned.

I like the 4spd auto with overdrive. Shifts very smooth even at full throttle.

I would like bigger rims as mine came with 14". The new ones are the bomb but I don't nave that kind of money.

Wonderful Value
By heeyy_joe

1999 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

Other than regular oil changes, a tuneup at 90k, and a replacement thermostat in 2008, the only costs have been gasoline. Have done lots of hauling over the years, some towing too - never any isuues. This has been a great truck for the money.

Great air conditioning for the Texas heat.

None