1998 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Review: Great example of Toyota qualit

1998 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Review

Great example of Toyota quality
By RandyH on

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my truck at 73k miles. It now has 168,300 and runs just as well as it did the day I bought it. I did however have a major breakdown at 90k miles. The tensioner arm pulley and the water pump pulley had both frozen up. The fix which included a new OEM waterpump, timing belt, thermostat, tensioner pulley and radiator fluid cost me over $700. Fortunately this is a non interference engine so there was no further damage. Aside from this one problem the truck has run flawlessly. I get better than expected gas mileage (22MPG average, mostly highway)The window sticker says 16 city, 19 highway but Ive never seen numbers that low out of my truck.

Strong engine, crisp 5-speed transmission. I can out accelerate most trucks off the line and even a surprizing amount of sporty cars. Easy to use shift on the fly 4WD. Excellent build quality, even after 168k miles the truck doesnt rattle or make any funny noises and all accessories still work.

The interior seems a little basic to me. The digital clock is in a horrible location, its hard to see. Unless youre in the passengers seat youre better off looking for your watch! When making fairly sharp turns on a bumpy road at high speed this truck will bounce around quite wildly if not careful.