1998 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
1998 4x4 Tacoma
By steve on 07/26/05 13:48 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck new in 98 and have never had any problems. Only expenses have been reg maint and gas. In the snow this veh is unstoppable. Best truck I have ever owned. The 2.7 4 cyl is a little low on power, but has never really been a problem. I always average about 20 mpg. After 155,000 trouble free miles I would only replace it with another identical Tacoma.

Taco Bell wishes they were this good!!
By Ry on 03/10/05 09:50 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is a great vehicle. 144,567 miles and still running like a clock. Advice to everyone that reads this spend a little extra and get a toyota. Chevy and ford cant compete with the reliabilty of this truck.!!! only maintenance was done on this engine.Timing belt!!!

perfect for my purposes
By jim scott on 02/17/05 21:01 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Reliable, economical, and nice looking; it's all I might ask from a little truck, and I'm a little disappointed Toyota has "sexed it up" with the 2005 model year. Mine has 90000 miles on it and still has my complete confidence. Only gripe? 42 foot turning circle makes some U turns problematic.

Great example of Toyota quality
By RandyH on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my truck at 73k miles. It now has 168,300 and runs just as well as it did the day I bought it. I did however have a major breakdown at 90k miles. The tensioner arm pulley and the water pump pulley had both frozen up. The fix which included a new OEM waterpump, timing belt, thermostat, tensioner pulley and radiator fluid cost me over $700. Fortunately this is a non interference engine so there was no further damage. Aside from this one problem the truck has run flawlessly. I get better than expected gas mileage (22MPG average, mostly highway)The window sticker says 16 city, 19 highway but Ive never seen numbers that low out of my truck.

great truck
By mattw on 08/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck is a great truck! It handles great, for a truck and the reliability is awesome. Absolutely no problems other than brakes and regular maintanance. The V6 is very strong. Not geared like a car but has plenty of power. I think it tows a full 5000 lbs. I've overloaded the truck and it still pulls strong.

GOOD RELIABLE TRUCK
By DRUIZ on 08/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

ONLY MINOR MAINTENANCE TYPE MECHANICAL PROBLEMS

Great Truck
By MarkW on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

This has been a real workhorse. Totally realiable and economic to operate and insure. Zero mechanical problems.

Nice Truck
By steve44 on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck! Knocks the shine off anything Ford or Chevy ever turned out.

PreRunning Fun
By Saint79 on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I love this truck! I can site many incidents where it has out performed and out lasted many of my friends trucks. This truck is a powerhouse!

Love this truck!!!
By ellster003 on 02/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My Truck is great, Very reliabily. It tows my boat, my 6x12 Trailer with atv's and I've never had a problem..If your looking for a truck with good gas mileage, great looks and will get you about anywhere, then the tacoma is for you......