Used 1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Bullet Proof
By taco ma

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Remember the old advertisement when the Tacoma gets hit by a meteor, then drives out of the crater?? It's a bit of an exaggeration, but not much... I just went over 200,000 miles and it is still going strong. Only problem ever was a starter. Puts all Chevy's or Ford's to shame.

Favorite Features

Bullet-proof build quality, goes anywhere in any snow storm.

Suggested Improvements

Front seats need to be more comfortable.

Solid
By PR TAcoma

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my PreRunner SR5 V6 XtraCab new in fall of '98 and it still runs like a champ. It's only got 127k on it and had no major work done (tires, a few batteries, ac fan/resistor, starter contacts -- that's it). Considering how neglectful I've been, it's run great. I've taken it on several long road trips and moved across the country with a full bed, but not towing anything, and it's not missed a beat. City mileage is not that good at around about 12-15 depending on the temp and red lights. Have gotten it up past 24 on mountain highways, and currently am getting about 18/city keeping the engine under 2000 RPM when possible. Stinks in snow without modifications is the worse of it.

Favorite Features

Compact, durable, good clearance, reliable, excellent build.

Suggested Improvements

Does what I want it to do. I'll get another car if I need improvements.

One of the toughest trucks in the world.
By Eugene

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I wanted an old Toyota truck ever since I went on a missions trip to Haiti a few years ago. The roads were so bad and the people were so poor there, that the only vehicles that survived were the old Toyota trucks. I bought one with 118k miles, and it has about 150k so far. The truck has been reliable, except it ran poorly for a while due to the timing belt slipping a few teeth. I blame the Toyota dealer, because they replaced the timing belt and water pump right after I got the truck. Now, I do all my own maintenance, and I hope to drive it 300k miles before any major overhaul is needed. There is no rust on the body yet. I get about 21 mpg on the highway, and it has a lot of torque.

Favorite Features

Durable engine and tranny. Easy to engage 4WD. Simple dash layout.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the 3.4l V6 engine had a steel timing chain to make it more bullet proof.

Taco
By Alan

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I really enjoy my truck! I have 217,000 miles and will run it for as long as I can. Only major repair was the water pump. Still running original fuel filter, drum brakes, AC, plug wires. It drives like new and does not burn any oil. You cannot beat Toyota quality and this truck proves that.

Favorite Features

AC is just amazing, good smooth V6, superb fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

Stock suspension is way too mushy, I have a three inch lift with aftermarket shocks.

Great truck!
By Bill

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

As original owner and the sole driver of this vehicle for 210,000 miles, this is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Considering buying another one, but I'll hold on to the old truck to drive to keep miles down on the new one! Not tons of power, but great for hauling light stuff, moving, landscaping, etc.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, storage in extra cab.

Suggested Improvements

Extra cab only really big enough for kids to sit comfortably - too cramped for adults.