1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
I Love My Little Truck
By Adam on 07/13/10 14:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck. I haven't had one problem with the engine. In 4 years i have gotten in a few fender benders and broken windshield, but have not had to touch the engine. I get 23 MPG religiously. I have moved dirt bikes, furniture, and a piano!

Still going
By GJ on 06/15/10 10:41 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have owned this truck for nearly eleven years. I have had to replace the starter and the catalytic converter. Just replaced the shocks, struts and front brake pads yesterday. The AC is still strong and overall the vehicle runs great. Mainly, I have only had to do the regular maintenance. It has only been back to the dealer once to replace a faulty sensor in the first few months that I owned it. I bought this because of Toyota's reputation and have not been disappointed in any way.

Its a Toyota
By eric on 04/20/06 19:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great small truck, much better gas milage than my previous Toyota V6 4x4. Also seems to have more power (not for towing though). Only complaints are seats lack padding, and turning radius could be tighter. A limited slip differential would be nice, but overall I am very satisfied with this truck and I have owned 5 different Toyotas and Nissans

Great Reliability
By Simon Palmer on 04/07/06 07:54 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Have 107,000 miles on it and runs flawlessly. 70 mile daily roundtrip in mostly stop-and-go traffic is no problem. Versatile.

perfect for my purposes
By jim scott on 02/17/05 21:01 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Reliable, economical, and nice looking; it's all I might ask from a little truck, and I'm a little disappointed Toyota has "sexed it up" with the 2005 model year. Mine has 90000 miles on it and still has my complete confidence. Only gripe? 42 foot turning circle makes some U turns problematic.

GOOD RELIABLE TRUCK
By DRUIZ on 08/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

ONLY MINOR MAINTENANCE TYPE MECHANICAL PROBLEMS

It's a Toyota
By odelrio on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Excellent truck, sturdier and more power than the Nissan and Ford counterparts. 6 yrs and 68k miles later, I have no regrets spending a little more for a Toyota. I expect this truck to be in the family for years to come. If I were to find flaw in anything it would be the stock goodyear tires (rear traction in the wet was very difficult) and the ride is a bit too harsh for my liking (typical truck ride).

Its A Toyota
By kvnh2os on 12/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have been happy with my 98 2DR XCab 2WD. I wanted the 4WD, just too pricey. I would not use 4WD but maybe 5-6 times a year. Even though its 2WD, its still a Toyota. I have taken it places that Jeep Grand Cherokee's won't go. All in all, its a great truck. The only real complaint I would have is the front end of the truck looks ugly to me. Not as well styled as other model years.

Sandy
By sandydianna on 10/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

truck runs well color black with cloth

4x2 4 cyc ext cab sr5
By 16yeartoyotafan on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

My Toyota has been great. I purchased it new. It goes to the dealer for regular maintenance, it has been to the dealer once for a CHECK ENGINE light, which apparently was my fault for adding a K&N air filter, which the dealer suggested I remove. I did, no trouble since. It has 58k miles on it, still runs and looks like the day I bought it.I avg. 22/29 mpg.