1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Bulletproof Pickup
By srsage107 on 09/10/14 14:44 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have owned my 98 Tacoma for nearly a decade now. The truck is running 238k miles and the last California smog it had last year, it passed with flying colors. The mechanic was not surprised in the least that with all of the regular normal maintenance I do, that the Tacoma was still passing smog like it had at 5k miles. In the entire time I have owned my Tacoma, I have only replaced the battery once, the water pump and radiator at 220k miles and the alternator at 200k miles. I use only genuine Toyota parts. This truck has hauled boats, motorcycles, sand, cement, u-hauls and still sparkles like the day it came out of the factory and has not lost any power over the years. Solid truck!

still going
By headhunter130 on 01/04/13 10:27 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My truck has over 357,000 miles and has been through it.

I Love My Little Truck
By Adam on 07/13/10 14:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck. I haven't had one problem with the engine. In 4 years i have gotten in a few fender benders and broken windshield, but have not had to touch the engine. I get 23 MPG religiously. I have moved dirt bikes, furniture, and a piano!

Still going
By GJ on 06/15/10 10:41 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have owned this truck for nearly eleven years. I have had to replace the starter and the catalytic converter. Just replaced the shocks, struts and front brake pads yesterday. The AC is still strong and overall the vehicle runs great. Mainly, I have only had to do the regular maintenance. It has only been back to the dealer once to replace a faulty sensor in the first few months that I owned it. I bought this because of Toyota's reputation and have not been disappointed in any way.

Truck'n awsome
By dave on 05/21/10 18:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck is rock solid and a blast to drive. It's like a sports car with a truck body. The sr5 v6 is a performance machine. It's a little thirsty though. Fun comes with a price. Can't wait to but my next. If I live that long.

Bullet Proof
By taco ma on 02/12/10 22:04 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Remember the old advertisement when the Tacoma gets hit by a meteor, then drives out of the crater?? It's a bit of an exaggeration, but not much... I just went over 200,000 miles and it is still going strong. Only problem ever was a starter. Puts all Chevy's or Ford's to shame.

Solid
By PR TAcoma on 07/22/09 23:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my PreRunner SR5 V6 XtraCab new in fall of '98 and it still runs like a champ. It's only got 127k on it and had no major work done (tires, a few batteries, ac fan/resistor, starter contacts -- that's it). Considering how neglectful I've been, it's run great. I've taken it on several long road trips and moved across the country with a full bed, but not towing anything, and it's not missed a beat. City mileage is not that good at around about 12-15 depending on the temp and red lights. Have gotten it up past 24 on mountain highways, and currently am getting about 18/city keeping the engine under 2000 RPM when possible. Stinks in snow without modifications is the worse of it.

One of the toughest trucks in the world.
By Eugene on 08/12/07 13:26 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I wanted an old Toyota truck ever since I went on a missions trip to Haiti a few years ago. The roads were so bad and the people were so poor there, that the only vehicles that survived were the old Toyota trucks. I bought one with 118k miles, and it has about 150k so far. The truck has been reliable, except it ran poorly for a while due to the timing belt slipping a few teeth. I blame the Toyota dealer, because they replaced the timing belt and water pump right after I got the truck. Now, I do all my own maintenance, and I hope to drive it 300k miles before any major overhaul is needed. There is no rust on the body yet. I get about 21 mpg on the highway, and it has a lot of torque.

Taco
By Alan on 07/19/07 12:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I really enjoy my truck! I have 217,000 miles and will run it for as long as I can. Only major repair was the water pump. Still running original fuel filter, drum brakes, AC, plug wires. It drives like new and does not burn any oil. You cannot beat Toyota quality and this truck proves that.

Great truck!
By Bill on 05/23/07 11:08 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

As original owner and the sole driver of this vehicle for 210,000 miles, this is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Considering buying another one, but I'll hold on to the old truck to drive to keep miles down on the new one! Not tons of power, but great for hauling light stuff, moving, landscaping, etc.

1 2 3 4 5 next »