1998 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Bulletproof Pickup
By srsage107 on 09/10/14 14:44 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have owned my 98 Tacoma for nearly a decade now. The truck is running 238k miles and the last California smog it had last year, it passed with flying colors. The mechanic was not surprised in the least that with all of the regular normal maintenance I do, that the Tacoma was still passing smog like it had at 5k miles. In the entire time I have owned my Tacoma, I have only replaced the battery once, the water pump and radiator at 220k miles and the alternator at 200k miles. I use only genuine Toyota parts. This truck has hauled boats, motorcycles, sand, cement, u-hauls and still sparkles like the day it came out of the factory and has not lost any power over the years. Solid truck!

Solid
By PR TAcoma on 07/22/09 23:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my PreRunner SR5 V6 XtraCab new in fall of '98 and it still runs like a champ. It's only got 127k on it and had no major work done (tires, a few batteries, ac fan/resistor, starter contacts -- that's it). Considering how neglectful I've been, it's run great. I've taken it on several long road trips and moved across the country with a full bed, but not towing anything, and it's not missed a beat. City mileage is not that good at around about 12-15 depending on the temp and red lights. Have gotten it up past 24 on mountain highways, and currently am getting about 18/city keeping the engine under 2000 RPM when possible. Stinks in snow without modifications is the worse of it.

PreRunning Fun
By Saint79 on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I love this truck! I can site many incidents where it has out performed and out lasted many of my friends trucks. This truck is a powerhouse!