Used 1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

I Love My Little Truck
By Adam

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck. I haven't had one problem with the engine. In 4 years i have gotten in a few fender benders and broken windshield, but have not had to touch the engine. I get 23 MPG religiously. I have moved dirt bikes, furniture, and a piano!

Still going
By GJ

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have owned this truck for nearly eleven years. I have had to replace the starter and the catalytic converter. Just replaced the shocks, struts and front brake pads yesterday. The AC is still strong and overall the vehicle runs great. Mainly, I have only had to do the regular maintenance. It has only been back to the dealer once to replace a faulty sensor in the first few months that I owned it. I bought this because of Toyota's reputation and have not been disappointed in any way.

Durability and reliability.

Its a Toyota
By eric

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great small truck, much better gas milage than my previous Toyota V6 4x4. Also seems to have more power (not for towing though). Only complaints are seats lack padding, and turning radius could be tighter. A limited slip differential would be nice, but overall I am very satisfied with this truck and I have owned 5 different Toyotas and Nissans

Quality, reliability, gas mileage

better turning radius, better front seats

Great Reliability
By Simon Palmer

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Have 107,000 miles on it and runs flawlessly. 70 mile daily roundtrip in mostly stop-and-go traffic is no problem. Versatile.

Reliability. Bulletproof build quality.

2-door configuration makes getting in and out of the rear seats a dodgy undertaking.

perfect for my purposes
By jim scott

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Reliable, economical, and nice looking; it's all I might ask from a little truck, and I'm a little disappointed Toyota has "sexed it up" with the 2005 model year. Mine has 90000 miles on it and still has my complete confidence. Only gripe? 42 foot turning circle makes some U turns problematic.