Used 1998 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Bulletproof Pickup
By srsage107

1998 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have owned my 98 Tacoma for nearly a decade now. The truck is running 238k miles and the last California smog it had last year, it passed with flying colors. The mechanic was not surprised in the least that with all of the regular normal maintenance I do, that the Tacoma was still passing smog like it had at 5k miles. In the entire time I have owned my Tacoma, I have only replaced the battery once, the water pump and radiator at 220k miles and the alternator at 200k miles. I use only genuine Toyota parts. This truck has hauled boats, motorcycles, sand, cement, u-hauls and still sparkles like the day it came out of the factory and has not lost any power over the years. Solid truck!

Favorite Features

Super reliable, I have never been stranded anywhere Ground clearance makes oil changes easy Spacious bed Surprisingly powerful even in overdrive ECT switch for Transmission & Overdrive button for fuel saving on Freeway

Suggested Improvements

It's a Toyota, nothing to improve

still going
By headhunter130

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My truck has over 357,000 miles and has been through it.

GREAT TRUCK!!!
By chops1413

1998 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This is a great little truck that will get you where you need to go. It's a great looking vehicle and it's got plenty of aftermarket options for any gear head looking for a fun time.

Favorite Features

All the standard features work great. Never had any problems from my air conditioner or heater. Radio still works perfectly. Truly a great vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Only wish i upgraded to the V6 for a little more power but i'm glad for the extra MPGs.

I'll never sell
By Luke

1998 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck is one of the best trucks I've ever owned! Starts every time and all I do is change the oil and tires. The over all cost to get around is less that any other truck I know of. 13 years and still running like a champ! I bet I'll get 300,000 miles on this one easy. Thank you Toyota!

Favorite Features

Low cost

Suggested Improvements

None

I Love My Little Truck
By Adam

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck. I haven't had one problem with the engine. In 4 years i have gotten in a few fender benders and broken windshield, but have not had to touch the engine. I get 23 MPG religiously. I have moved dirt bikes, furniture, and a piano!