1997 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Very happy with this truck

1997 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Review

Base Extended Cab Pickup (2.7L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

Very happy with this truck
By ryanmiller98 on

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Iíve had my Tacoma for nearly 5 years and plan on driving it another 5. After 117K miles, the only problem was w/ the air conditioning - a difficult- to-diagnose leak costing $380 at the dealer. Other than that, I've changed tires as needed, the engine oil every 4- 5K, and trans/diff every 15K. New plugs, air/fuel filters, EGR Valve - routine self-performed minor tune-up. I've done a bit of 4WD (6X/year) - Handles solid in snow and trail. The check engine light I used to get? - hasn't done it once since I turned the gascap at least 3 clicks after fillup. I strongly recommend it and will likely buy a newer one - probably around 2008

Favorite Features

It has classic good looks. Similar to the body of the Toyota Truck up until '94 that still looks good, I think the Tacoma will look good for years.

Suggested Improvements

Autolocking hubs - My 4wd buddys always just drive off when we get back on pavement - Me, I'm pulled over turning my hubs manually. Some friends my elitest LandRover buddies turned out to be. :)