1997 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Many, many miles... many more to go!
By Tough Tacoma on 09/17/07 16:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck in 9/07 with 204000 miles on it from a neighbor who purchased it new in 1997. Exterior has lots of bumps and bruises, paint is pretty shabby. However the interior is very nice and the mechanicals are in excellent shape. I think it will last another 10 years, no problem!

Tacomas really are indestructible
By haus on 06/07/07 14:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I love my Tacoma. I don't think there is any other truck that can do what this has. I have 185000 miles on mine and haven't replaced anything except for the brakes and timing belt.

Buy Toyota
By craig on 05/29/07 06:15 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I put 145,000 on the truck and I bought it used. I've done nothing to it but general maintenance. You can't go wrong with a Tacoma, it's my second Toyota and I will be buying a third after I put 200k on this one.

Unbelievable
By Bobo on 02/11/07 21:42 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

260000 miles It still runs as good as the day I bought it. No oil leaks. 5000 miles between oil changes, oil is on the stick mark. No squeaks. Original clutch still very strong. Manual trans, all boxes very tight. No whines or noises. Steering box is perfect, The paint is still an (8+) This truck has taken me through more crap than any vehicle I can ever remember. I've gone through 4 sets of front brakes, rear are originals, 1 starter, 2 batteries. I still have the second set of spark plugs in it and the second timing belt which I think I better change real soon. Don't let your wife use it or you'll never get it back.

Ol' Reliable
By ThirdGear on 01/13/07 10:41 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Awesome vehicle! After 128k miles, no problems. Engine and cruise control work perfectly. Interior components have started to rattle a bit, but that is to be expected on a truck with so many miles. Good gas mileage, good power in V6 model. Speakers aren't great. Back seats don't have enough room for passengers (but space is good for cargo). Front seats also a little uncomfortable, especially if you're tall.

One word - RELIABLE
By bucnasty on 12/19/06 15:22 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My tacoma has 190k on it and it has started and gotten me where I needed to be every day. Motor still runs like new, the only thing I have ever had to do to the truck was put brakes on, replace shocks and CV boot covers, and replace a rack and pinion mounting bushing, I've probably only spent around 500 dollars on maintenance on this truck and have owned it for 6 years, with 190+ K miles on it. I honestly think it would run forever.

I am so Proud of our Tacoma!!!
By Donna Burgstrom on 11/02/06 15:32 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

My husband has used our Tacoma for his handyman business for the past 3 years. He carries a FULL load of tools in the back daily under the shell AND tows a trailer filled with you name it (heavy weight) stuff on a daily basis. It just turned 178k miles and has never had ANY problems. He just put it through smog to get it registered and it went through with flying colors. It is just an awesome truck!!!!

Disappointment for a Toyota
By Josh C. on 09/25/06 12:50 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

Within a year of purchase my Tacoma overheated twice on a flat interstate at normal speeds and once in West Virginia. Auto trans prevents effective use of already limited power and gas mileage has never been above 22. Under load, it sinks to around 12. It now has 106k miles and I've repaired the transmission linkages 4 times and had numerous electrical problems. Very disappointing for the reputation of a Toyota.

Tacoma
By tacoaLX on 07/21/06 11:46 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Great truck, very reliable and good on gas. Also has off road features, 5.5" lift, Rhino lining bed spray.

no worries
By happytoyotaguy on 01/08/06 09:39 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

By far and away, the most reliable vehicle i have ever owned... at 100,000 miles it's just getting broken in... the a/c and heater work almost too well... with toyota quality there are no worries