1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Very good
By will199104 on 11/21/11 06:42 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my Tacoma new, it now has 190K and still running strong. I have never had any problems with this truck; actually it has required very little maintenance. Very well build. It gets excellent gas mileage.

Most basic truck
By dexyuen on 10/25/11 05:15 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Maybe my truck is just having it's time and I probably would have rated higher if I had it earlier but It's been Ok truck I bought it with 237,000 miles and I have 320,000 on it since I've owned it I replaced the radiator, dropped a K&N filter in replaced the transmission gasket (I have an auto), the electrical, tires, ball joints, bearings, front calipers, CV boots, alternator, this all happened within 3 months of owning it so @ about 250,000 I replaced all this and lasted to 320,000 I hope it just last now I did most of the work myself so it was some what worth it. I love parking this thing in the city though when I'm working out there.

Bury me in my Tacoma!
By jgpaige on 01/25/11 15:35 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my Tacoma new in December of 1996. I confess that I haven't been the most responsible owner regarding regular maintenance and the like. It doesn't seem to matter, though. My Tacoma, now at 198,000 miles, turns over and purrs like a kitten every morning. I have driven it cross-country 7 times and would still have the confidence to do it today at its current mileage. I've used it for hauling construction debris, towing a loaded U-haul trailer up a mountain, and even fit two men over 6' tall in the regular cab with me. I've proven it can run on no oil (per my mechanic's chagrin) and an empty gas tank. This machine is truly remarkable and, at times, even miraculous.

no worries
By happytoyotaguy on 01/08/06 09:39 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

By far and away, the most reliable vehicle i have ever owned... at 100,000 miles it's just getting broken in... the a/c and heater work almost too well... with toyota quality there are no worries

Your basic perfect 2nd vehicle
By RFox on 11/15/04 12:14 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

bought used for daily commuter and occasional hauler. This vehicle is solid, reliable, surprisingly powerful, inexpensive to maintain, and fun to drive. I find I leave my M5 in the garage most weekdays now.

High mileage review
By 43Ejumper on 09/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Only problems in 162000 miles: replaced catalytic converter, both O2 sensors, lft. rear axle seal, that's it. Dealer serviced completely. Extremely reliable transportation.

Awesome Truck!
By Slvrado03 on 03/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I purchased my 1997 Toyota Tacoma used. It only had 46,000 miles on it. I have never owned such a great vehicle. This is my first used vehicle, and I have had not one single problem with it. Even after 72,200 miles. I would recommend a Toyota to anyone looking for a vehicle.

my truck
By me123456789 on 10/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Great reliability and gas mileage.

Love it!
By JKFlip on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Love my truck. Bought it 3 1/2 years ago already 3 years old and have never had a single bit of trouble with it. Great in snow/ice with 4 wheel drive on and couple sand bags in bed. AC ice cold, runs smooth, great for hauling stuff around. Seems to be holding it's value great and every time I got to Home Depot someone offers to buy it! I'd buy another in a minute!

No Problems
By lrffe on 05/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I have had my truck for nearly 5 years, I forget to get my oil changed and I don't get my tires rotated. I run my tank nearly on empty all the time, and I have never had anything go wrong. It does great in snow. The only maintenance I have done is get new tires, and added wind shield washer fluid. I don't even check the oil..the Air conditioner is always cold. It runs just like the day I got it. I will keep it forever.