Used 1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Very good
By will199104

1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my Tacoma new, it now has 190K and still running strong. I have never had any problems with this truck; actually it has required very little maintenance. Very well build. It gets excellent gas mileage.

Build quality, reliability, fuel Efficient

none

Most basic truck
By dexyuen

1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Maybe my truck is just having it's time and I probably would have rated higher if I had it earlier but It's been Ok truck I bought it with 237,000 miles and I have 320,000 on it since I've owned it I replaced the radiator, dropped a K&N filter in replaced the transmission gasket (I have an auto), the electrical, tires, ball joints, bearings, front calipers, CV boots, alternator, this all happened within 3 months of owning it so @ about 250,000 I replaced all this and lasted to 320,000 I hope it just last now I did most of the work myself so it was some what worth it. I love parking this thing in the city though when I'm working out there.

Driving in the city, I'm near San Francisco and work construction so I love bombing around in this pick up.

I'm going to check out the frame when I get back because I'm reading all this bad stuff about it I wish the alternator wasn't so crammed up was super hard to get to. ABS I feel like should be a standard 15inch wheels are a nice add on if you can find them for a good price because finding tires was a pain and I live in California and tried like 8 stores before I finally found some tires. Other than that I like my truck as basic as possible if your 6ft you will have a problem sitting in the Bench seat I'm only 5'9 but people that are 6ft+ always have a problem sitting in my truck and the bench is pushed all the way back

Bury me in my Tacoma!
By jgpaige

1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my Tacoma new in December of 1996. I confess that I haven't been the most responsible owner regarding regular maintenance and the like. It doesn't seem to matter, though. My Tacoma, now at 198,000 miles, turns over and purrs like a kitten every morning. I have driven it cross-country 7 times and would still have the confidence to do it today at its current mileage. I've used it for hauling construction debris, towing a loaded U-haul trailer up a mountain, and even fit two men over 6' tall in the regular cab with me. I've proven it can run on no oil (per my mechanic's chagrin) and an empty gas tank. This machine is truly remarkable and, at times, even miraculous.

It's tenacity!!!

You can't improve upon perfection. This machine is out-of-this-world.

no worries
By happytoyotaguy

1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

By far and away, the most reliable vehicle i have ever owned... at 100,000 miles it's just getting broken in... the a/c and heater work almost too well... with toyota quality there are no worries

my favorite feature is the 16 valve , small but powerful 4 cyl engine that runs on reg 87 octane gas

make the glove box lockable and thr radio buttons easier to see

Your basic perfect 2nd vehicle
By RFox

1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

bought used for daily commuter and occasional hauler. This vehicle is solid, reliable, surprisingly powerful, inexpensive to maintain, and fun to drive. I find I leave my M5 in the garage most weekdays now.

powerful engine (4 cylinders), just simple and easy to manuever, park, get in and out, great gas mileage

none...basic truck is just that...only more fun to drive than you would expect!