1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Reliable Tacoma
By Dave on 06/04/08 09:01 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 58K and now have 103,000. I have the 5sp manual tranny. I've not done anything but regular maintenance. I average 28mpg. Not real comfortable over long trips but very reliable and gets the job done. I wouldn't trade this for a new one.

Handy Inexpensive Reliability
By marko9 on 03/03/08 16:03 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

With 120,000 miles on a truck picked up used with 60,000, it has been a hard- working reliable partner on a mess of major remodel projects over several years. Most reliable vehicle I have had in 32 years, and the one I have worked the hardest (I had to replace one spring due to heavy loads).

I am so Proud of our Tacoma!!!
By Donna Burgstrom on 11/02/06 15:32 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

My husband has used our Tacoma for his handyman business for the past 3 years. He carries a FULL load of tools in the back daily under the shell AND tows a trailer filled with you name it (heavy weight) stuff on a daily basis. It just turned 178k miles and has never had ANY problems. He just put it through smog to get it registered and it went through with flying colors. It is just an awesome truck!!!!

Disappointment for a Toyota
By Josh C. on 09/25/06 12:50 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

Within a year of purchase my Tacoma overheated twice on a flat interstate at normal speeds and once in West Virginia. Auto trans prevents effective use of already limited power and gas mileage has never been above 22. Under load, it sinks to around 12. It now has 106k miles and I've repaired the transmission linkages 4 times and had numerous electrical problems. Very disappointing for the reputation of a Toyota.

Toyota 97 4x2 5speed 2.4L Extra cab LX
By 97toyo on 05/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

Very reliable vehicle. Has never failed to start since 1997. Routine maintenance has been performed regularly. With 110000 miles it is just starting to use about a quart of oil between oil changes. The gas mileage is 30 miles per gallon consistently. Check engine light came on at 100000, dealer said it was the catalytic converter. One pint of "Sea Foam" gas treatment in half tank of gas and the light went off and stayed off. A very good truck overall. Small and sporty, easy to park, good power from the small four since the truck is light weight.

GREAT TRUCK
By MichaelJ on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought truck in Fla. with 23k on it.Use d it for business, lots of miles. Now live in Pa. Truck has 97k on it, other than routine maint. it has only needed the clutch fan replaced,tires at70k,and I chose to replace the clutch at 80k but could have gone much longer.I love this truck it seems like it will run forever. I do wish it was 4WD back here in Pa.

Toyota Tacoma
By tennisond on 11/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have only performed normal maintenance on the truck. Great Machine.

Great Truck!!
By John M. on 11/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my 1997 2WD extended cab Tacoma brand new in Jan. 97. The truck now has 210,000 problem free miles. My truck has been super reliable. The 2.4L 4 cyl. doesn't burn any oil, and the original clutch still works perfect. I highly recommend the Toyota truck.