Used 1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Long Strange Trip.
By KC O'Dunn

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I got this 1997 Tacoma 4x4 Xtra Cab with 37k on it in 2007. From the beginning, the clutch master Cyl has been problematic. The first owner had replaced the factory master and the after-market master failed me on the way from the dealership. The dealership did nothing to correct the problem. They topped off the fluid and I was stranded a few days later in the middle of nowhere. I stock all fluids under the hood so I got out of the swamp. I have replaced the clutch master 4 times in the last 8 years. Other than that this truck has been bullet proof.

This truck is a good truck. I have kept up with 5k oil changes. I don't hole-shot it but when I have needed it to get out of the way of something or pull itself out of some mess, it has not had any issues. It gets the advertised mileage even with 240k. It looks good but for some dings that were on it when I got it. The paint suffers from being under trees and I might repaint it.

I recommend anything from the Toyota truck line. I have friends with 2003, 2014 and 2016 Tacomas -- none of them are any less reliable. I have replaced the starter, alternator, clutch, serpentine belt, timing belt, water pump, radiator, front and rear breaks with rotors, front struts, rear shocks and floor mats. Note that the recoil on the seatbelts will not be strong enough to retract the belt unless you feed it back. It has quick trap lock on the belt but if you pull the belt too fast it will lock before you can fasten it.

I spent years at sea as a captain and so I tend to look ahead on maintenance. I am sure I would have been just as well without a lot of the renewed parts... but I am very confident in this truck.

Best money ever spent!
By william1969

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my 1997 Toyota Tacoma LX V6 Extra Cab in '99 with 67,000 miles on it. Today, it has 272,000 miles. I've only replaced the radiator, O2 sensor, a ball bearing joint, and the starter, as well as, the normal required maintenance such as timing belts. It is a true work horse, and a remarkable automobile for reliability and function considering the other vehicles I've witnessed. I've been offered by
three different individuals on separate occasions to buy it from me. It's not going to happen.

With the V6, it has a lot of get up and go. It always surprises friends and family who borrow it. Good gas mileage; can actually squeeze 5 people in; I added aluminum wheels which makes the truck look sharp.

The only thing that I don't like is the turning radius.

Japanese WorkHorse
By Thai4Ever

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I got the truck at 75,000 miles. It blew a head gasket at 238,000 miles. I had the engine rebuilt for $3,300 with new clutch in 2007. I have 271,000 miles on it now. Minor problem was o2 sensor, catalytic converter, and seat belt buckle. I have driven this truck in soft nc obx sand, and red Clay in Northapton county. It's hard to get stuck. I've never been stuck. It's is a classic workhorse. Awesome truck. My kids grew up in it, but now the extended cab is too small. Sorry to see her go. This a a truck you can push the limits. That means challenge it, drive it till it falls apart.

I can go anywhere without worry.

Ride is stiff, but hey it's a truck, not a prissy little SUV.

The best of the best
By Aubrey

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I now have over 300,000 miles on this SR5 4x4 and other than regular maintenance, the only problem was the starter. Still shines like new, the ABS works great, all electrical is working and I know it will start every time I want to use it. I have hauled, towed and loaded this truck to the max and it has never let me down. This is my fifth Toyota product and I have yet to have any in the shop which is better on my wallet as well as peace of mind.

Quality and reliability, the looks of the truck, the ease of maintenance

Toyota has been making them each year

Reliable Tacoma
By Dave

1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 58K and now have 103,000. I have the 5sp manual tranny. I've not done anything but regular maintenance. I average 28mpg. Not real comfortable over long trips but very reliable and gets the job done. I wouldn't trade this for a new one.

cruise control, gas mileage, AC can haul right to its limit and no complaints.

better seats.