Used 1997 Toyota Tacoma Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

I am so Proud of our Tacoma!!!
By Donna Burgstrom

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

My husband has used our Tacoma for his handyman business for the past 3 years. He carries a FULL load of tools in the back daily under the shell AND tows a trailer filled with you name it (heavy weight) stuff on a daily basis. It just turned 178k miles and has never had ANY problems. He just put it through smog to get it registered and it went through with flying colors. It is just an awesome truck!!!!

Favorite Features

The extended cab is big enough to sit in!

Reliable Tacoma
By Dave

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 58K and now have 103,000. I have the 5sp manual tranny. I've not done anything but regular maintenance. I average 28mpg. Not real comfortable over long trips but very reliable and gets the job done. I wouldn't trade this for a new one.

Favorite Features

cruise control, gas mileage, AC can haul right to its limit and no complaints.

Suggested Improvements

better seats.

Handy Inexpensive Reliability
By marko9

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

With 120,000 miles on a truck picked up used with 60,000, it has been a hard- working reliable partner on a mess of major remodel projects over several years. Most reliable vehicle I have had in 32 years, and the one I have worked the hardest (I had to replace one spring due to heavy loads).

Favorite Features

2WD is EZ in/out height, 4 cylinder economy, decent ride.

Suggested Improvements

Seat belt fails to readily click.

Toyota 97 4x2 5speed 2.4L Extra cab LX
By 97toyo

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

Very reliable vehicle. Has never failed to start since 1997. Routine maintenance has been performed regularly. With 110000 miles it is just starting to use about a quart of oil between oil changes. The gas mileage is 30 miles per gallon consistently. Check engine light came on at 100000, dealer said it was the catalytic converter. One pint of "Sea Foam" gas treatment in half tank of gas and the light went off and stayed off. A very good truck overall. Small and sporty, easy to park, good power from the small four since the truck is light weight.

Favorite Features

Very reliable and economical.

Suggested Improvements

The turning radius is a bit large. The suspension is too firm (rough) especially on Missouri roads(some of the worst in the country). This truck needs a sports car ride and less truck feel.

Disappointment for a Toyota
By Josh C.

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

Within a year of purchase my Tacoma overheated twice on a flat interstate at normal speeds and once in West Virginia. Auto trans prevents effective use of already limited power and gas mileage has never been above 22. Under load, it sinks to around 12. It now has 106k miles and I've repaired the transmission linkages 4 times and had numerous electrical problems. Very disappointing for the reputation of a Toyota.

Favorite Features

Decent stock stereo with tape deck. Good sound quality.

Suggested Improvements

More efficient 4 cyl and better steering. Turning radius is similar to a school bus.