Used 1997 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Best money ever spent!
By william1969

1997 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my 1997 Toyota Tacoma LX V6 Extra Cab in '99 with 67,000 miles on it. Today, it has 272,000 miles. I've only replaced the radiator, O2 sensor, a ball bearing joint, and the starter, as well as, the normal required maintenance such as timing belts. It is a true work horse, and a remarkable automobile for reliability and function considering the other vehicles I've witnessed. I've been offered by three different individuals on separate occasions to buy it from me. It's not going to happen.

Favorite Features

With the V6, it has a lot of get up and go. It always surprises friends and family who borrow it. Good gas mileage; can actually squeeze 5 people in; I added aluminum wheels which makes the truck look sharp.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing that I don't like is the turning radius.

Very good
By will199104

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my Tacoma new, it now has 190K and still running strong. I have never had any problems with this truck; actually it has required very little maintenance. Very well build. It gets excellent gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Build quality, reliability, fuel Efficient

Suggested Improvements

none

Most basic truck
By dexyuen

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

Maybe my truck is just having it's time and I probably would have rated higher if I had it earlier but It's been Ok truck I bought it with 237,000 miles and I have 320,000 on it since I've owned it I replaced the radiator, dropped a K&N filter in replaced the transmission gasket (I have an auto), the electrical, tires, ball joints, bearings, front calipers, CV boots, alternator, this all happened within 3 months of owning it so @ about 250,000 I replaced all this and lasted to 320,000 I hope it just last now I did most of the work myself so it was some what worth it. I love parking this thing in the city though when I'm working out there.

Favorite Features

Driving in the city, I'm near San Francisco and work construction so I love bombing around in this pick up.

Suggested Improvements

I'm going to check out the frame when I get back because I'm reading all this bad stuff about it I wish the alternator wasn't so crammed up was super hard to get to. ABS I feel like should be a standard 15inch wheels are a nice add on if you can find them for a good price because finding tires was a pain and I live in California and tried like 8 stores before I finally found some tires. Other than that I like my truck as basic as possible if your 6ft you will have a problem sitting in the Bench seat I'm only 5'9 but people that are 6ft+ always have a problem sitting in my truck and the bench is pushed all the way back

Bury me in my Tacoma!
By jgpaige

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my Tacoma new in December of 1996. I confess that I haven't been the most responsible owner regarding regular maintenance and the like. It doesn't seem to matter, though. My Tacoma, now at 198,000 miles, turns over and purrs like a kitten every morning. I have driven it cross-country 7 times and would still have the confidence to do it today at its current mileage. I've used it for hauling construction debris, towing a loaded U-haul trailer up a mountain, and even fit two men over 6' tall in the regular cab with me. I've proven it can run on no oil (per my mechanic's chagrin) and an empty gas tank. This machine is truly remarkable and, at times, even miraculous.

Favorite Features

It's tenacity!!!

Suggested Improvements

You can't improve upon perfection. This machine is out-of-this-world.

Japanese WorkHorse
By Thai4Ever

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I got the truck at 75,000 miles. It blew a head gasket at 238,000 miles. I had the engine rebuilt for $3,300 with new clutch in 2007. I have 271,000 miles on it now. Minor problem was o2 sensor, catalytic converter, and seat belt buckle. I have driven this truck in soft nc obx sand, and red Clay in Northapton county. It's hard to get stuck. I've never been stuck. It's is a classic workhorse. Awesome truck. My kids grew up in it, but now the extended cab is too small. Sorry to see her go. This a a truck you can push the limits. That means challenge it, drive it till it falls apart.

Favorite Features

I can go anywhere without worry.

Suggested Improvements

Ride is stiff, but hey it's a truck, not a prissy little SUV.