1997 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Best money ever spent!
By william1969 on 06/29/13 17:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my 1997 Toyota Tacoma LX V6 Extra Cab in '99 with 67,000 miles on it. Today, it has 272,000 miles. I've only replaced the radiator, O2 sensor, a ball bearing joint, and the starter, as well as, the normal required maintenance such as timing belts. It is a true work horse, and a remarkable automobile for reliability and function considering the other vehicles I've witnessed. I've been offered by three different individuals on separate occasions to buy it from me. It's not going to happen.

Very good
By will199104 on 11/21/11 06:42 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my Tacoma new, it now has 190K and still running strong. I have never had any problems with this truck; actually it has required very little maintenance. Very well build. It gets excellent gas mileage.

Most basic truck
By dexyuen on 10/25/11 05:15 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

Maybe my truck is just having it's time and I probably would have rated higher if I had it earlier but It's been Ok truck I bought it with 237,000 miles and I have 320,000 on it since I've owned it I replaced the radiator, dropped a K&N filter in replaced the transmission gasket (I have an auto), the electrical, tires, ball joints, bearings, front calipers, CV boots, alternator, this all happened within 3 months of owning it so @ about 250,000 I replaced all this and lasted to 320,000 I hope it just last now I did most of the work myself so it was some what worth it. I love parking this thing in the city though when I'm working out there.

Bury me in my Tacoma!
By jgpaige on 01/25/11 15:35 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my Tacoma new in December of 1996. I confess that I haven't been the most responsible owner regarding regular maintenance and the like. It doesn't seem to matter, though. My Tacoma, now at 198,000 miles, turns over and purrs like a kitten every morning. I have driven it cross-country 7 times and would still have the confidence to do it today at its current mileage. I've used it for hauling construction debris, towing a loaded U-haul trailer up a mountain, and even fit two men over 6' tall in the regular cab with me. I've proven it can run on no oil (per my mechanic's chagrin) and an empty gas tank. This machine is truly remarkable and, at times, even miraculous.

Japanese WorkHorse
By Thai4Ever on 03/11/10 11:08 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I got the truck at 75,000 miles. It blew a head gasket at 238,000 miles. I had the engine rebuilt for $3,300 with new clutch in 2007. I have 271,000 miles on it now. Minor problem was o2 sensor, catalytic converter, and seat belt buckle. I have driven this truck in soft nc obx sand, and red Clay in Northapton county. It's hard to get stuck. I've never been stuck. It's is a classic workhorse. Awesome truck. My kids grew up in it, but now the extended cab is too small. Sorry to see her go. This a a truck you can push the limits. That means challenge it, drive it till it falls apart.

The best of the best
By Aubrey on 11/02/08 01:09 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I now have over 300,000 miles on this SR5 4x4 and other than regular maintenance, the only problem was the starter. Still shines like new, the ABS works great, all electrical is working and I know it will start every time I want to use it. I have hauled, towed and loaded this truck to the max and it has never let me down. This is my fifth Toyota product and I have yet to have any in the shop which is better on my wallet as well as peace of mind.

Reliable Tacoma
By Dave on 06/04/08 09:01 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 58K and now have 103,000. I have the 5sp manual tranny. I've not done anything but regular maintenance. I average 28mpg. Not real comfortable over long trips but very reliable and gets the job done. I wouldn't trade this for a new one.

Handy Inexpensive Reliability
By marko9 on 03/03/08 16:03 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

With 120,000 miles on a truck picked up used with 60,000, it has been a hard- working reliable partner on a mess of major remodel projects over several years. Most reliable vehicle I have had in 32 years, and the one I have worked the hardest (I had to replace one spring due to heavy loads).

Runs till it Rusts!
By Taco Owner on 12/18/07 08:56 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned my 1997 Taco since 1998 and now have 200,000 miles on it. very reliable 2.7 4 cylinder. Only a few problems like starter and clutch fan. Now for the bad. Frame rust! I am looking at costly frame repairs, but I am sure that the truck will last another 100,000 miles once I get this done.

Great truck
By h20bugz on 10/01/07 10:36 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is the first truck I have ever owned. I drive it hard and it has made 4 cross country trips pulling a fully loaded u-haul. I am about to roll 200K and besides tires, oil and timing belts I have only had the brakes and the clutch master cylinder go out. I bought it because of the reliability Toyota is praised for and I will definitely go back for another one. Problem is I don't see me trading mine in for another couple of years.

1 2 3 4 5 next »