Overall Great, Dependable and Fun
By Broeheem on
1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB
I bought this truck about a year ago, and am pretty happy with it. The 3.4 has more than enough gusto for me, the trans feels solid, and the suspension is a perfect balance of smooth ride and tight handling. SR5 has nearly all the toys standard and the factory option packages take care of the rest. I was determined to find one with all the options that you could get (except auto - would never own an auto). Exterior is the last decent-looking one before the headlights got massive, interior is not as sweet as the last model (and that hideous exploding steering pillow had to go immediately), but at least Toyota figured out that the speakers ought to NOT be pointing at the floor.
Favorite Features
V6 motor is smooth and strong - WAY better than the 3.0, squeakless and rattle-free body after 14 years, 31" tires with no lift, luxury while still functioning as an actual truck, agile handling, decent factory stereo (I still upgraded, though), tons of aftermarket goodies available for this truck.
Suggested Improvements
Regular cab SR5 V6 4x4 option would have been nice (I don't like the large turning radius), should have waited until a reasonably-engineered airbag steering wheel was designed before foisting this on buyers - the center portion was just WAY too big and UGLY (I retrofitted a '93 SR5 wheel - had to).