1996 Toyota Tacoma 2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Engine is worn out

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab - Consumer Review

Engine is worn out
By christopherrum on

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck, have done front rotors, painted the truck and performed some routine maintenance. I am a mechanic by trade and expected this vehicle to hit 500,000 miles because of the reputation of Toyotas. I got it at 198,000 miles and changed some of the engine sensors, plugs wires and ignition coil trying to fix a power issue. Finally I found the engine is simply worn out, my compression is below the minium specification on two cylinders. The piston rings are worn out and the valves are worn as well. I have tried all kinds of chemicals including Zado. It runs well and crainks a bit long when cold but does run and is not noisy mechanically. Chemicals did help my transmission.

Favorite Features

Great, simple, useful truck. Like a car to me but easy to throw stuff in the bed and move things. Really like the look and functionability.

Suggested Improvements

More reliability with the engine and transmission BUT, I have no idea how it was cared for before I got it so this is only a partially useful review.