Used 1996 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Tuff Yoda
By MBW

1996 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Wow, this has been the best vehicle i have ever owned. I feel it has a very attractive body style compared to other small trucks, and I can overtake every small truck I race (V-6). I have gone on multiple road trips across the US with no problems. This truck has NEVER left me stranded. I would certainly buy another one, however gas is getting a little expensive. Overall, a darn good buy!

The pickup of this pickup is far superior to Ford/Chevy (v-6)

More base features (cruise control, passenger floor vent, more appealing dash display is very plain. My 1996 truck dash display is almost the same as the old 1984 toyota truck)

Solid
By T White

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Purchased my truck new in March 1996 and put 41,000 miles on it within the first 8 months (driving between Charleston WV and Washington DC every weekend)... Truck now has 155K miles on it and still runs as good as ever... Only minor problems to date: Broken leaf spring, replaced starter, replace oxygen sensor, replace gearbox lubricant. Wouldn't own any other brand of truck... Next up would be a Tundra, but not till this little gem wears out, maybe 2027!!!

Overall quality... Nothing fancy, everything just operates the way it was designed to...

Replacement parts too high... Stolen ashtray full of change, replacement cost = $55 Come on?!?

Dependable Tonka
By Thai

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had this truck for a few years. The only major maintenance was the starter. I have started to take it from LA to San Francisco. Tight fit on the inside. I agree I feel the bumps in the road. Mine is automatic and it is starting to feel rough in fourth gear.

Reliability, gas mileage, turning radius.

Same on on the smoothness, seats are rough on long rides, more interior room. I also have the squeaky suspension.

Awesome
By John

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

1996 Toyota Tacoma bought with 30,000 miles and it runs like a top! I have put 140,000 on it since i have owned it, keep the oil changed regularly and the truck gives me no problems. It does great for climbing in 4 wheel drive and does great to and from work for gas mileage. GET A TOYOTA TACOMA!

Fun to drive, awesome 4x4 vehicle, Great Gas Mileage (28mpg)

More room, parts are expensive.

For a little truck, I love it.
By Bob

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck has been great. The truck was bought with 40k miles,and now has 267k. The only problem has been the catalytic converter, I am now on my 3rd. Beyond that, everything has been great, just regular maintenance. I am starting to feel a slight slip in the transmission when I shift from reverse to drive. The ride is not the most comfortable, ever since I bought the truck, I have felt every bump and crack in the road. I love this truck and feel it has gone well above and beyond what was expected of it.

Toyota built, to me now, that is feature enough. My 2nd Toyota that is approaching 300k and still truckin.

Improve the smoothness of the ride. Fuel filter is hard to replace, have to take off something to replace the fuel filter.