'96 Tacoma LX Xtra Cab 4WD 2.7L I4 5 spd
By KB3OGV on
1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB
This is a great truck, I bought it used with 169,986 miles on it and it currently has 179,090 miles on it. I have the aluminum wheels with 30 inch. tires. The only thing I wish I had was the locking rear differental but I didn't buy it new or I would've opt for that. Since I've had it the only thing needed to be replaced was the cat. converter (which all vehicles need eventually) and a clutch (which replaced the original from factory @ 175,000 miles). This truck is a great truck for on and off roading. You can't go wrong with a Toyota.
Favorite Features
2.7L I4 16 valve EFI engine has same hp rating as the 3.4L V6 and 2 ft/lbs. of torque lower than the V6. The acceleration and build quality is better then the V6. The V6 has some problems which I don't have enough space to explain but your better off getting the 2.7L I4, which also gets more MPG.
Suggested Improvements
Electric fans instead of mechanical fan for engine cooling. Stock head unit's small LCD which shows the frequency doesn't light up when headlights are on so you're unable to see what station you're on at night.