1996 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Not sure these trucks can be killed.
By shelbert1 on 09/04/13 14:22 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have owned 2 vehicles since 1985, my whole driving life. My 1st truck at 15 was a 1980 toyota pickup, I ran it to 550k miles before giving it to my brother in 1998. I purchases this 1996 Tacoma as a replacement. Was hoping for half the life of my 1st. It did not disappointed me yet. Just turned over 350k miles and is still my daily driver. Would not even think twice about heading cross country. I have replaced a starter, clutch master cylinder, and all bushings and ball joints (only one failed but I changed them all). Have yet to even replace the clutch but it is starting to slip I will buy another one if this one does give it up.

My little truck
By timmybird on 08/13/08 21:18 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my 96 from my father in law with 96000. He drove long distances to work every day and racked up the miles. It was factory serviced all the way up to the point I bought it in 2000. I have never owned a toy but always wanted one. It was a dream come true for me. This truck ran like a brand new car for a long time. I still own the truck and have replaced the rotors twice, pads, and a plate inside the starter. That is it maybe 300 dollars in maintenance. It has never left me hanging stuck some where looking for a tow truck. It now has 203,000 and still going strong, not bad.

I will cry when I have to get ride of it
By LWags on 07/31/08 12:00 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is my first very own vehicle and I couldn't have gotten any luckier! I have been driving this truck for 11 1/2 years and its still going strong. Gets around surprisingly good in winter. I replaced the starter approx 5 years ago and other than that I have only done preventative maintenance. I have been rear and front ended and the other vehicles came out worse off than the truck!! I am in the market for a new Toyota and would have no problems selling my truck to a friend or family and know that they would be taken care of!

Bullet Proof to the End
By snyder_man on 01/16/08 13:27 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This is my second small Yota pickup and it proves again that you can't go wrong in the reliability department with a Toyota. Needs a new clutch at 145K miles but other than brakes that is the only non routine maintainence I can remember in 12 years of ownership. One tune up and 2 brake jobs and 1 clutch in 12 years, can't beat that. It has never left me stranded.

Amazing!
By jim on 01/03/08 10:12 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

My ratings are based on this truck's performance in its best days. 4cyl, 4 spd, basic model. Sadly, at 310,000 miles it's begining to decline. I bought it with 4500 miles and since then all that's been replaced other than the usual things is the starter - NOTHING ELSE! Clutch began to slip at 290,000; AC broke at 295,000 but that's it! I'm having to downshift a lot to get it up hills but it's been a phenomenal vehicle. I just sold an '03 fully equipped 4wd CrewCab Tacoma with almost 100k that looked and performed like new. Sad to see it go but I didn't need a fancy commuter anymore. Hope our '01 Sequoia will perform as well even with all its fancy stuff.

Unbreakable?
By niugreg on 12/30/07 04:24 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Words can't describe how happy I've been with this truck. The most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I'm nearing 205,000 and it is just as solid as the day I brought it home. I was hoping to get 200k with it, but now I'm shooting for 400k before I even think about replacing it. No rust, no rattles, nothing leaks and no major problems. Last brake job lasted 3.5 years and 83,000 miles... amazing!

96 Tacoma 4WD
By rich on 03/11/07 09:53 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck used and has been the best truck I have ever owned. This 1996 replaced a 1990 4WD toyata that I had. The 1990 replaced a 1988 Chevy pick-up that I bought new and that truck was a piece of crap. I will always buy Toyota. Also have a 1996 Rav4. A1 on both.

Solid
By T White on 10/27/05 09:18 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Purchased my truck new in March 1996 and put 41,000 miles on it within the first 8 months (driving between Charleston WV and Washington DC every weekend)... Truck now has 155K miles on it and still runs as good as ever... Only minor problems to date: Broken leaf spring, replaced starter, replace oxygen sensor, replace gearbox lubricant. Wouldn't own any other brand of truck... Next up would be a Tundra, but not till this little gem wears out, maybe 2027!!!

Dependable Tonka
By Thai on 10/13/05 13:18 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had this truck for a few years. The only major maintenance was the starter. I have started to take it from LA to San Francisco. Tight fit on the inside. I agree I feel the bumps in the road. Mine is automatic and it is starting to feel rough in fourth gear.

Awesome
By John on 09/14/05 11:25 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

1996 Toyota Tacoma bought with 30,000 miles and it runs like a top! I have put 140,000 on it since i have owned it, keep the oil changed regularly and the truck gives me no problems. It does great for climbing in 4 wheel drive and does great to and from work for gas mileage. GET A TOYOTA TACOMA!