Used 1996 Toyota Tacoma Base Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Engine is worn out
By christopherrum

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck, have done front rotors, painted the truck and performed some routine maintenance. I am a mechanic by trade and expected this vehicle to hit 500,000 miles because of the reputation of Toyotas. I got it at 198,000 miles and changed some of the engine sensors, plugs wires and ignition coil trying to fix a power issue. Finally I found the engine is simply worn out, my compression is below the minium specification on two cylinders. The piston rings are worn out and the valves are worn as well. I have tried all kinds of chemicals including Zado. It runs well and crainks a bit long when cold but does run and is not noisy mechanically. Chemicals did help my transmission.

Great, simple, useful truck. Like a car to me but easy to throw stuff in the bed and move things. Really like the look and functionability.

More reliability with the engine and transmission BUT, I have no idea how it was cared for before I got it so this is only a partially useful review.

Most Reliable Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By BB

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

It has been a superb vehicle. Only things replaced: sensor inside catalytic converter; solenoid in starter; & manifold. I'm just now getting to the point that the clutch assembly needs replaced with almost 280,000 miles on the truck. Great lumbar support for my back. I'd like to change a few things inside the cab that were not well designed, but they are small issues compared to the truck's reliability and great gas mileage. I'll keep it until I'm too old to drive a stick shift!

Reliability, gas mileage.

Better place for the cup holder. Seat belts handle poorly in going back in place when removed (hangs out the door a lot). Need a place to hang a trash bag.

Making it fun
By 4HIM

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

Have enjoyed owning this vehicle so much and Toyota's reputation for quality and reliabilty are well-founded. The pickup rides almost as good as any comfortable car but will go places an auto and most trucks can't think about.

Power!! Sunroof, on the fly 4 wd, reliabilty, amount of fun to drive!

I think only necessary improvements can be a very good aftermarket gas shocks (Bilstien) unless you get the TRD off road version which has them, good set of tires (Pro Comp's All-Terrain are the best I've ever seen, wet trac. superb, mud & snow as well w/50k mile wear warr. even on 31-10.50x15's)

Great little truck
By tacolover

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

Absolutely reliable, fun to drive, good gas mileage. I expect I will get another 10 years out of it, easily.

Size, handling, power.

Tighter turning radius.

great truck
By Kathleenhill

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

very dependable. no problems of any kind.