1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Engine is worn out
By christopherrum on 06/03/13 08:35 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck, have done front rotors, painted the truck and performed some routine maintenance. I am a mechanic by trade and expected this vehicle to hit 500,000 miles because of the reputation of Toyotas. I got it at 198,000 miles and changed some of the engine sensors, plugs wires and ignition coil trying to fix a power issue. Finally I found the engine is simply worn out, my compression is below the minium specification on two cylinders. The piston rings are worn out and the valves are worn as well. I have tried all kinds of chemicals including Zado. It runs well and crainks a bit long when cold but does run and is not noisy mechanically. Chemicals did help my transmission.

Most Reliable Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By BB on 05/14/09 15:11 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

It has been a superb vehicle. Only things replaced: sensor inside catalytic converter; solenoid in starter; & manifold. I'm just now getting to the point that the clutch assembly needs replaced with almost 280,000 miles on the truck. Great lumbar support for my back. I'd like to change a few things inside the cab that were not well designed, but they are small issues compared to the truck's reliability and great gas mileage. I'll keep it until I'm too old to drive a stick shift!

Making it fun
By 4HIM on 08/21/06 22:38 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

Have enjoyed owning this vehicle so much and Toyota's reputation for quality and reliabilty are well-founded. The pickup rides almost as good as any comfortable car but will go places an auto and most trucks can't think about.

Great little truck
By tacolover on 09/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

Absolutely reliable, fun to drive, good gas mileage. I expect I will get another 10 years out of it, easily.

great truck
By Kathleenhill on 08/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

very dependable. no problems of any kind.

96 Tacoma
By Howard_Erbe on 08/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have had nothing but good luck with this vehicle, I'm just getting ready to do the 90,000 go through with this truck.

Tacoma LX -Ext Cab
By Stafford on 07/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

Absolutely no repairs other than front brakes replaced at 75,000 miles. Vehicle is quiet and solid with no rattles.

96 truck
By More than Satisfied on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new , and now have 102,000 miles on it. It has never failed me. I got 83,000 on orig Firestone "Wilderness" tires. Changed battery at 95,000, and front pads/rotors turned at 97,000. Still has orig exhaust system, and everything else, starter, alternator, etc. I change oil every 4,000 miles with filter. Changed plugs at 60,000. With the 2.4, 5M, I can still get 29-30mpg on the highway, and 27-28 in combined driving. It is still a tight truck, I have never had front end alligned or any suspension work done, orig shocks. Yes, it was a little more expensive than others, but its never been in the shop, either.

1996 Toyota Tacoma
By MOJOJOJO on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have owned this truck for 3 years, I bought it used with 42K, it now has 87K and I have only replaced front brakes and the starter. This is a great truck.

1996 Toyota Tacoma
By mojojojo on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)