Used 1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Engine is worn out
By christopherrum

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck, have done front rotors, painted the truck and performed some routine maintenance. I am a mechanic by trade and expected this vehicle to hit 500,000 miles because of the reputation of Toyotas. I got it at 198,000 miles and changed some of the engine sensors, plugs wires and ignition coil trying to fix a power issue. Finally I found the engine is simply worn out, my compression is below the minium specification on two cylinders. The piston rings are worn out and the valves are worn as well. I have tried all kinds of chemicals including Zado. It runs well and crainks a bit long when cold but does run and is not noisy mechanically. Chemicals did help my transmission.

Favorite Features

Great, simple, useful truck. Like a car to me but easy to throw stuff in the bed and move things. Really like the look and functionability.

Suggested Improvements

More reliability with the engine and transmission BUT, I have no idea how it was cared for before I got it so this is only a partially useful review.

Toyota reneges on Frame Recall
By mmcd1

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Toyota Canada has denied any payout as the 15 yr program has ended. I had the truck in for the recall in April 2010 and now the truck is dangerous to drive and unsalable. Also my youngest daughter had been driving the truck to Toronto for school, which has obviously put her some peril with a faulty frame. I spoke with a Customer service rep named Steven ID# 5001, who told me that it has been decided and there is nothing that anyone can do. He would not give me a name or number of anyone above him to speak with regarding the decision. This is one of many Toyotax that I have owned and I am more than disappointed, I plan to sue!!

Suggested Improvements

Honor the Recall!!

Tacoma wish it were a trophy truck
By rambo for hire

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

2.7 169,000 on it. I purchised this truck from an air force full bird col. that told me he never did anything maintenance wise, but put 31 bfg's at's, but the first week I noticed a fuel leak in the #4 injector bank bad o-ring was the problem but replaced all 4 along with other related parts. Then I noticed during the summer when the engine was hot it was hard to start, mass airflow was dirty cleaned it with b-12 works great. Then came the front wheel bearing that went, i never seen one as hard as this the best way to tackle this is to take the spindle off and take it to Toyota service department, be sure not to damage the brass bushings you have to buy a new hub for $168.00.

Favorite Features

cup holder in front of a/c vents, keeps my beer cold. lol. all bulbs are easy to change unlike my gf car 08 accord low headlight beams poor, tire and finder well have to be removed.

Suggested Improvements

I put a set of icon extended travel shocks on adjustable ride height up to 3.25 inches of lift, but noticed performance go's down with more lift. rear shocks are god awful get a devear leaf pack and and shocks i like king 2.0 triple bypass but there pricey 5100s bilsteins are popular and affordable

Overall Great, Dependable and Fun
By Broeheem

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck about a year ago, and am pretty happy with it. The 3.4 has more than enough gusto for me, the trans feels solid, and the suspension is a perfect balance of smooth ride and tight handling. SR5 has nearly all the toys standard and the factory option packages take care of the rest. I was determined to find one with all the options that you could get (except auto - would never own an auto). Exterior is the last decent-looking one before the headlights got massive, interior is not as sweet as the last model (and that hideous exploding steering pillow had to go immediately), but at least Toyota figured out that the speakers ought to NOT be pointing at the floor.

Favorite Features

V6 motor is smooth and strong - WAY better than the 3.0, squeakless and rattle-free body after 14 years, 31" tires with no lift, luxury while still functioning as an actual truck, agile handling, decent factory stereo (I still upgraded, though), tons of aftermarket goodies available for this truck.

Suggested Improvements

Regular cab SR5 V6 4x4 option would have been nice (I don't like the large turning radius), should have waited until a reasonably-engineered airbag steering wheel was designed before foisting this on buyers - the center portion was just WAY too big and UGLY (I retrofitted a '93 SR5 wheel - had to).

I Love My Toyota
By joe

1996 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my Toyota at 118,000 , and after replacing little things here and there, it still runs like new and looks good. It has seen mud and water door high and have not got it stuck yet. I will have this truck restored and give it to my son (maybe) I do love my truck..

Favorite Features

Size, it thinks it's a big truck..

Suggested Improvements

None I Love My Truck!