Used 1996 Toyota Tacoma Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Not sure these trucks can be killed.
By shelbert1

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have owned 2 vehicles since 1985, my whole driving life. My 1st truck at 15 was a 1980 toyota pickup, I ran it to 550k miles before giving it to my brother in 1998. I purchases this 1996 Tacoma as a replacement. Was hoping for half the life of my 1st. It did not disappointed me yet. Just turned over 350k miles and is still my daily driver. Would not even think twice about heading cross country. I have replaced a starter, clutch master cylinder, and all bushings and ball joints (only one failed but I changed them all). Have yet to even replace the clutch but it is starting to slip I will buy another one if this one does give it up.

Favorite Features

This truck is pretty featureless so really allot to praise feature wise. Its manual windows, standard transmission, For a small truck it is fairly roomy, as I am 6' 2" and I still fit comfortably.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see the door handles made of metal, For a truck that last forever the plastic handles eventually dry up and get brittle. I have replaced 2 drivers handles so far.

My little truck
By timmybird

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my 96 from my father in law with 96000. He drove long distances to work every day and racked up the miles. It was factory serviced all the way up to the point I bought it in 2000. I have never owned a toy but always wanted one. It was a dream come true for me. This truck ran like a brand new car for a long time. I still own the truck and have replaced the rotors twice, pads, and a plate inside the starter. That is it maybe 300 dollars in maintenance. It has never left me hanging stuck some where looking for a tow truck. It now has 203,000 and still going strong, not bad.

Favorite Features

exterior appeal

Suggested Improvements

none

I will cry when I have to get ride of it
By LWags

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is my first very own vehicle and I couldn't have gotten any luckier! I have been driving this truck for 11 1/2 years and its still going strong. Gets around surprisingly good in winter. I replaced the starter approx 5 years ago and other than that I have only done preventative maintenance. I have been rear and front ended and the other vehicles came out worse off than the truck!! I am in the market for a new Toyota and would have no problems selling my truck to a friend or family and know that they would be taken care of!

Favorite Features

Its a zippy little truck!

Suggested Improvements

none

Amazing!
By jim

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

My ratings are based on this truck's performance in its best days. 4cyl, 4 spd, basic model. Sadly, at 310,000 miles it's begining to decline. I bought it with 4500 miles and since then all that's been replaced other than the usual things is the starter - NOTHING ELSE! Clutch began to slip at 290,000; AC broke at 295,000 but that's it! I'm having to downshift a lot to get it up hills but it's been a phenomenal vehicle. I just sold an '03 fully equipped 4wd CrewCab Tacoma with almost 100k that looked and performed like new. Sad to see it go but I didn't need a fancy commuter anymore. Hope our '01 Sequoia will perform as well even with all its fancy stuff.

Favorite Features

Reliabilty.

Suggested Improvements

It's a basic hauler - nothing else needed. Only hope the newer ones will do as well.

Dependable Tonka
By Thai

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had this truck for a few years. The only major maintenance was the starter. I have started to take it from LA to San Francisco. Tight fit on the inside. I agree I feel the bumps in the road. Mine is automatic and it is starting to feel rough in fourth gear.

Favorite Features

Reliability, gas mileage, turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

Same on on the smoothness, seats are rough on long rides, more interior room. I also have the squeaky suspension.